VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

My GTI's brake pads are wearing thin so I thought I'd post a question and see who's had success with brake pads that didn't leave the wheels coated in black dust three days after the wheels have been cleaned.

I don't want to spend a lot of money (obviously) but would spend a little more if I could find pads that didn't give off as much dust.

Any advice?

thanks,
Hugh.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I think Stoptech does something like that, but I will leave you with one thought.

Find me a Porsche or Mercedes (other then a pimp who cruises at 10 mph in the city) with clean wheels/rims? You won't.

As they have very good brake pads which leave more dust then other makers.

I saw today a mercedes with his front wheels almost gunmetal and the rear where still silver.

Just make it a habit of cleaning your wheels every 2 days even everyday with warm water will help prevent tarnish and buildup.

Good luck.

http://www.stoptech.com/cgi/Products.cgi

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Mintex Redbox pads. I have them on my Jetta. They were marketed as a "performance" pad, but I have found them to be exactly like the OEM pads in every way except that they leave LOTS LESS dust than the OEM ones did. You can buy them from www.parts4vws.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys- were they about the same price as OEM pads?

Hugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
Mintex Redbox pads. I have them on my Jetta. They were marketed as a "performance" pad, but I have found them to be exactly like the OEM pads in every way except that they leave LOTS LESS dust than the OEM ones did. You can buy them from www.parts4vws.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hugh 2000GTIVR6:
Thanks guys- were they about the same price as OEM pads?

Hugh.

Originally posted by Big Dong:
[qb]Mintex Redbox pads. I have them on my Jetta. They were marketed as a "performance" pad, but I have found them to be exactly like the OEM pads in every way except that they leave LOTS LESS dust than the OEM ones did. You can buy them from www.parts4vws.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QB]
I don't know how much the OEM ones are, but the Mintex on that site are $35 for the rear, and $55 for the front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got a 2000 Jetta with the 15" Alloys... the previous owner under the original lease probably didn't clean the wheels or take it to the car wash too much, so there's a little tarnish and buildup on my rear-passenger side wheel.

Is there any method of cleaning this stuff off the alloy?

On a somewhat related note, what do you feel I could get if I wanted to sell these rims and upgrade? I'm sure someone has done this, right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ATPTourFan:
I just got a 2000 Jetta with the 15" Alloys... the previous owner under the original lease probably didn't clean the wheels or take it to the car wash too much, so there's a little tarnish and buildup on my rear-passenger side wheel.

On a somewhat related note, what do you feel I could get if I wanted to sell these rims and upgrade? I'm sure someone has done this, right?

Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I paid $500 for a set of 15" Avus wheels with almost brand new Michelin XGTH4 tires on them. I use them for winter use.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

I saw today a mercedes with his front wheels almost gunmetal and the rear where still silver.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my dads X-5 has that same prob... the front wheels are always black

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I got the new ceramic composite pads put on mine about six months ago, and they produce almost no dust. Plus, it doesn't stick to the wheel as bad as normal brake dust does, I can just wash it off with the hose, I don't have to scrub. As far as stopping power, they seem to be just as good as my stock pads, they will lock up the ABS just as easily.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I would invest in EBC green stuff pads for your dub for better stopping and significantly less amounts of dust.

The ebc's are made of kevlar and have no brake fade when it comes to normal agressive driving. brake fade and carbonization happens only after your rotors reach 1000 degrees.

I am getting a whole set for my 20th, $79 front and $49 rear from tire rack. Im sure your pads will cost less because I need larger than normal gti pads.

I hope this helps

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: BlueRabbit0886 ]

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: BlueRabbit0886 ]

·
Registered
161 Posts
i know this is a mk4 post but ive got a mk3 gti with the brake pads that are worn down. its the worst in the back. they get caked in brake dust like 2 days after i clean my entire car. any good suggestions for pads????

·
Registered
423 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ATPTourFan:

Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should buy some wheel acid. You can pick up at a local Napa, Gallon container.
But when useing it DON'T let it sit on the rim too long, It will etch the rim. Since the German rims are very porus compared to the US rims. Also you should wear rubber gloves and a dust mask because the stuff is very potent. But it does work on stuck brake dust. you should spray it on and maybe even get a Mag wheel brush. But don't forget rinse it really quick.

Good luck

Also I had Mintex Red Box. Very little dust and it was a great pad also as in stopping power, no fade.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
im tellin you guys, go with the EBC green stuff pads from Tire Rack. Its what my dad has on his 330ci and he only has to clean his wheels 1 or 2x a month.

I already ordered a set (front and rear) of EBCs for my 20th...they were a really good price for great pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts