VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 cabrio and my wife says she hears a squel when she turns all the way right. Also she thought she heard some noise out of the front brakes. So I pulled off the tires checked the brakes and they looked worn but there was just under half pad left on the outside. The day before she took it to the dealer and they said to replace pads rotors in the front and 20% left in the rear. My question is what the accetable tolerences on the rotors and how long can you let the pads go before they grind the rotor? What brands of rotor or pads do you reccomend. Thanks in advance to all who reply I'm new to the sit and
all replies are welcome. I would also like to mention the dealer wanted 500.00 for the job. The car also has 35k on it so taking care of this now before I have to do it in the winter time would be great.

·
Registered
127 Posts
20% is about 5-7000 miles of normal operation. The rotors have to be measured to see how far worn they are and if they can be machined. rotors, if she does normal driving i would go with vw rotors. I dont see the rotors being worn out at 35k maybe the pads. As far as pads I run mintex red box pads, an upgrade over stock but reasonable priced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts