VW Forum banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
the hardware they supply must suck. gets corroded and just locks up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Yup they're straight trash. Was able to finally drill everything out. I had to use threadserts on 2 of them but they held torque very nicely. Bearings and reassembly tonight along with an oil change and I can finally get the car out of the garage. Also, the dremel worked wonders with chain saw diamond dusted tips, much better than the drill bit. I was able to grind through a tap that had broken in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
The jetta is running and is on coilovers. Something is scraping on the front drivers rotor. I have a lot of work left to do on this to make it a nice daily.

-Brake fluid change, bleed brakes (possibly install stainless steel lines
-reseal oil pan
-locate and fix power steering leak
-charcoal canister
-rebuild/ new boot and grease on both axles
-install new abs harness front drivers side
-wash down engine bay
-raise rear coils up a little
-put in stock control arms and spindles

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Looking good!
Thanks, the car has been awful to get back to stock.

Just pulled the audi tt spindles and arms. Ruined a set of bearings when I pressed them into the stock spindles. Bought another, corrected my error, now spindle is loaded and ready for install. Car has been on jack stands for a few weeks now. Hoping to put the stock suspension in it. Only remaining mods after that are uni stage 2, exhaust, intake, headunit.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Things are moving very slow. Second set of bearings pressed in, however i put the snap ring on the wrong side of the bearing (on the cv side). This caused the axle to make contact with the hub when the axle nut is tightened. Next step is removing the snap ring, then the hub, pressing the bearing in more, then installing the snap ring in the correct place.

Cluster is also fried. Sunroof drains got clogged when the car was sitting and somehow shorted it out.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Bought a new cluster and swapped all the info over. Car is ready for driving, just needs new tie rod ends, an alignment, and tires.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #210 (Edited)
Helped install an official Ronald McDonald suspension set up on Miller7204's jetta

We also installed a Neuspeed rear sway, inner and outer tierods and ball joints.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Been driving the GLI a lot more lately. New tierods, ball joints, tires. Reconnected the front sway and fully connected the rear sway as one clamp had called off (clamps have been moved farther to the corners than shown in pics). Car feels so much more stable at speeds after reconnecting the front swaybar. After I had removed my fmic and reinstalled the smic, I didn't attach the setup to brackets or anything. This caused the axle to rub through one of the boost tubes. Picked up a fresh tube and installed, connected everything as it comes from factory. I'm really trying to un-jank this thing.

·
4,054 Posts
Mighty fine looking suspension that is. Too bad one strut had an issue :( Seriously thankful for you guys though. Almost everything suspension wise is brand new now.

Props for unjanking your car too. Now to remove that black box.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Mighty fine looking suspension that is. Too bad one strut had an issue :( Seriously thankful for you guys though. Almost everything suspension wise is brand new now.

Props for unjanking your car too. Now to remove that black box.

I am genuinely surprised a Koni strut had an issue like that. At least your have a warranty through Joni and FCP to go through.

Black box is staying! It's tied into a lot of wiring, don't want to remove it and cause any issues if it isn't doing anything currently.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
My gti had a McDonald's(H&R Race/bilstein)cup kit when I bought it.
I almost forgot what the mk4 suspension looked like. Now it will be back in my nightmares.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
My gti had a McDonald's(H&R Race/bilstein)cup kit when I bought it.
I almost forgot what the mk4 suspension looked like. Now it will be back in my nightmares.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Enjoy! It's so easy to deal with after disassembling and reassembling so many times.

Washed both cars. Finally built up the courage to wash the engine bay in the GLI for the first time since 2011. Just did a light cleaning and it's much better. Need to get in there with some oven cleaner and a brush next time.

·
4,054 Posts
Hopefully you won't have any issues due to washing the bay. Maybe I'll get bold one day this summer and do mine.

Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Hopefully you won't have any issues due to washing the bay. Maybe I'll get bold one day this summer and do mine.

Keep the updates coming!

No issues! Definitely give it a go. I just covered the alternator and air intake. Washed everything else including the valve cover. Need to get back in there with oven cleaner and a wire brush.

In other news, did timing belt and water pump on my brothers B6 A4 1.8t.

·
4,054 Posts
What a nice brother. I hope Dayton helped you with the tear down at least.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts