VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to someone who works from his garage.

he believes I need to change the inner tie rods and boot on both the front side driver and passenger. I also need to change the brake pads on all wheels.

I did see the boot falling apart, and I do near some scratching noises while driving. and I do see the brake pads needs to be replaced.

my question is --- Can I buy the inner tie rods and boot from a salvage shop? does it matter if its used? or should i be cautious of what I buy?

brake pads, probably best is to buy them new. agree?

this guy who works in his garage..! well, once inner tie rods and boot and brakes are replaced. wouldn't this require wheel balancing? from his garage i dont think he would be able to do wheel balancing ... but I dont know. is this needed?

am an amateur when it comes to mechanical understanding but am a quick learner as I get to see these things!

would you recommend me taking it to a garage for a fix?

please advice.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Buy new.

Boots should not be reused because getting them off without damage is nearly impossible. Also there may be worn spots and general fatigue and weathering of the rubber of the boots, which will cause them to break pretty quickly.
They should be pretty cheap, as are brake pads. The labor is going to be a bigger issue.

I think you have wheel balancing misplaced with alignment. You will not need a 4 wheel alignment but just the front, and if he does the front right there shouldn't be much need for an alignment at all.
If you're an amateur I wouldn't do the tie rods by your-self yet.
Brake pads are a no brainier. Just follow video diys and keep some lube handy.
Never touch the brakes on the inside of the car once the caliper is no longer on the rotor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll then buy the brake pads and boots new

I would still need to buy the inner tie rods? I was wondering if these rods can fail if boots are broken? without the grease will these rods fail automatically? or how would i know if it needs replacement?

Yes, then I will take it to the guy who works from his garage to fix the car :)) he was quite reasonable on the rates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts