VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I unlock and open the driver door after the car has been sitting for a while I hear a brief 3-4 second "whirring" sound coming from the dash/radio area. It sounds like an electric motor running or something. I thought it might have been my in-dash cd player, but my friend with a VR6 and no in-dash hears the same thing. This is obviously not a problem - i'm just curious about it. Anyone know what it is?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
This happens after the car has been SITTING for a while? If it was after it was running for a while I'd say the fan, but otherwise I"m not sure. I have a GTI VR6 and I've never heard it. Try calling the dealer and ask them if you can't find out, I'm sure they will know.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I have a 2000 vr6-sometimes the fan runs a little after I cut the ignition. I also hear a small buzzing sound sometimes too. I think its something with the lights (when the door opens), or the door locks maybe. Like you said, its nothing major, its just how the car does things. hope this helps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would think it would be a small fan behind a few slots in the dash that brings the inside air in through a temp sensor to tell the A/C- Heating head unit what the temp is inside of the car, That's how the Auto function works on most cars.

I think fuel pumps only cycle when the key is on.

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: A3VeeWee ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
definately the fuel pump- its when you DON'T hear it that you need to worry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts