VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just looking for some feedback on some plans to "ever so slightly" upgrade my Jetta's sound. All I want to do currently is add a descent subwoofer to the OEM head unit in my Automatic 2006 2.5L Jetta (Double-DIN 6CD changer).

Here's my current line of thinking:
-Boss BASS1200 amplified subwoofer (Dimensions: 15.2 x 11.6 x 2.8 inches)
(Power connected directly to battery w/appropriate inline fuse and correctly gauged wire, power cable run through firewall via plastic plug inlet where clutch would be in manual tranny, run cable down driver's side under floor trim panel to trunk)
-Connect the amp/sub to OEM HU via RCA Converter (i.e. Stinger SGN11 Fixed Line Output Converter) (Connect RCA cables directly behind OEM HU in case of future aftermarket HU install, run RCA cables down passenger side to trunk)

Here's where I get hung up. I really like the idea of having the sub in the trunk, especially since it would be a major pain (or maybe impossible?) to install the amp/sub under one of the front seats inconspicuously. I just don't know where to put it. I've been thinking of solidly mounting it upside down on the rear deck, but I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions on placement of this amp/sub would be great. Also, any thoughts on alternatives to the Bass1200 are much welcome. I just want a powered sub that will give the low-end frequency response of a 10" speaker, will be out of the way, and won't break the bank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i always mounted mine to the rear seat. just run wires under carpet back. you in ny? i got 2 12" in a bandpass and a 2000watt amp for sale. lol

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Yep you need the 12v rail from the ignition switch (remote)

I guess if you are on a tight budget, my comments don't matter much but let me ask some appropriate questions for you to consider maybe now but definitely in the future -so I am painting a broader picture here than what a "budget subwoofer install" would consist of likely.

What kind of music do you prefer? -that would dictate the type of amp and sub I would select. If you listen to fast technical music I would go with punchy smaller speakers with good tight suspensions. If you listen slower and beafy beats I would go with a larger slower response beefier speaker. If musicality is your goal (you listen to the symphony or music with excellent production quality and dynamics on a pro format(ie not mp3s) then the speaker(s) you desire would fall somewhere is between and of a higher quality. This is a generalization -as there as exceptions to everything I am going to write here.

also speaker size has little to do with frequency response. an array of multiple smaller speakers in a tuned cabinet can achieve the same response as a larger speaker. also digital, porting and folded horn technologies can achieve the same goal. Total surface area of the speaker cones in relation to the box is the key. One of the lowest dirtiest freight train sounding speaker cabinets I have ever heard was 24 3 inch speakers! although it is cheaper to get low frequency out of a single 10" than the more expensive smaller designs and that sounds like more your budget right now.

In my opinion a decent head unit is not that expensive these days, If you plan to keep this car for a long time why go to all the trouble removing your OEM HU to put a cheap noisy line transformer behind it instead of just putting a decent head unit with a quality -10dbv RCA output on it designed for a sub and with signifacant sub tuning and equalization at the head unit controls -I know this still might be too expensive -Im just playing devils advocate here.

-My Amp is on the back of the rear seat and the deck is not strong enough to support anything on an Mk3 hatchback.

If you are just listening to Mp3s and you only plan on having the car for the short term and/or money is an issue -I would say screw it and maybe do what you have listed there.

but if you plan to keep the car and higher sound quality is somewhat important, I wouldn't go your route above.

Just some things to think about. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts