VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my car has been acting really funny the last couple of days, but i dont know anything about cars so i asked a friend to see what was wrong. The second he started driving he said "burnt out the clutch" This is my first car so i learned how to drive manual on it. I only have 7400 miles on it so I must be REALLy bad at shifting! Could it possibly be something else that would make the gears slip? Also, if it is the clutch does anyone have an estimate on how much it would cost? Is it possibly included in the warranty?(Im guessing not). Man I'm really pissed off that i could suck that bad to burn it out so quickly. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
wow ive never heard of a clutch going out that quick..im not a know it all about cars just yet but did u do anything to the car(such as chip) cuz that can tend to do that. but not usually that quick. umm well on my 97 jetta it cost me roughly 700-800 dollars. that was for everything (flywheel, clutch etc) if you just buy a clutch its a lil cheaper i think OEM makes one for somewhere around 200 bucks hope that helps and i hope my info is correct

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, i dont have a chip or any other mods. The other day i ran my car pretty hard against my friend and redlined it. But I've done that beore and I didn't notice anything right after, just the next day. Man, I hope i didnt mess anything up too bad. My friend seemed to know it was a burnt out clutch right away.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
7400 miles is still under warrenty.

Take it to the dealer and they will road test it and the come to a conclusion about the car. But it shouldn't caost you a dime at the dealer. If they think it's the clutch they will pull the tranmission and look at the the flywheel and clutch and see if it was done on purpose, If they think that they will make you pay for it. If not VW should replace if for free.

When I was at the Ford dealer I saw many Focus's with bad clutchs and then take the trans out and see the flywheel have a s**t load of Hot spots and the clutch material all worn. I even saw one that the rivets were hitting the flywheel...

Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Do you ride the clutch or anything? I would think if you shifted bad it still wouldn't go that fast. Make sure you are not keeping your foot on top of the pedal while you aren't shifting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, i always made sure to NOT ride the clutch. I also always shifted into neutral before stopping at stop signs.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
If it is the clutch u will smell it. Once the RPM get to >4k it will just quickly rev to readline and the car wont go faster with it. If it is the clutch you must have gotten a defect, in that case they will give u one. Off warranty around 600-900$ if you arent dooing the labor yourself. If you plan to chipp it or mod it later take the steps now and get a 228mm (vr6)clutch kit, for like 50-80$ more it will way outlast a stock one chipped. Ecstunning and awe-tunning, both have good kits. Explain what the car does when u drive it...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does exacty what you say. It has a burning smell when i get out of the car and once it gets up to 4k rpm's there is little or no pull. I have an appointment at the dealership on friday and I am interested in the upgraded clutch system that you mentioned. Can they install this at the dealership?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Yeh they should, If u buy the OEM vr6 they will have the parts and the know how. If ur underwaranty i dont know if they will let u pay the difference or what... But id agree it is the clutch, god i hate that smell!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I say use the original clutch that the deales ship gives u because that way they wont charge u nothing. but if you wonna upgrade they wont deal with that and u will have to buy at your own expense usualy the 1.8t clutch can take a lot of fakin pressure down shiftin burnouts constantly pressuring it. and plus its not like your running lots of power ur stock so I dont reccomend upgrading it just go with the oringinal that way u dont pay nothing and plus u get to use up the dealership thats what the waranty is for

·
Registered
423 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:
Is that smell as bad as burnt Automatic Tranny Fluid? That stuff will make you want to
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want to smell something bad. Just smell rear Differantial fluid new, But the worst is when it's used. Really used. MMMMmmmm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey silverstone, i bought mine at the Pugi dealership, but i live 5 min away from the Autobarn in countryside.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The clutches are not as expensive as everyone is saying here. You can get an upgraded clutch (what I would do) to a VR6 setup and 228mm flywheel for $399 shipped from ECStuning.com, and you can find a private mechanic (non stealership) to install for around $300. This is what I would do. VW will end up charging you about $1200 installed for another stock one that will not hold as much power as this VR6 setup. The Vr6 clutch will hold planty of power, unless you plan on spraying or going w/ a bigger turbo. If you do plan on this, go with the Stage II or Stage III clutch kits.

And yes - the stock 1.8T clutch is known for early failure. I have been very lucky with mine so far but it is slipping. I have 64k miles on it and 60+ drag strip passes and it is just starting to slip when I am 100 octane.

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
K well the question no one has asked, DO u plan on modding ur car, ie: chip? or larger turbo..., if you are keeping stock, (includes intake and exhaust and small stuff) then if u can get a free 1.8t do it, but u have to to pay and u plan on modding it then go with the vr6 and save urself maby an extra 20,000+ miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts