VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was looking to get a 4cyl 5 speed wagon for me and the family and stumbled upon a nice Passat. I called the dealership and they then informed me that the turbo was not working and their mechanics did not possess the equipment to fix the issue. However they told me that the car runs fine without and they reduced the price to $3,000. Is this something that can be fixed for a couple hundred or a money pit?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi I was looking to get a 4cyl 5 speed wagon for me and the family and stumbled upon a nice Passat. I called the dealership and they then informed me that the turbo was not working and their mechanics did not possess the equipment to fix the issue. However they told me that the car runs fine without and they reduced the price to $3,000. Is this something that can be fixed for a couple hundred or a money pit?
So you would need to purchase a new turbo for the car, and install it? I mean, you could probably do it for less than a grand, but there are better deals out there. What year Passat? In all honestly it'll probably just end up being a money pit.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I agree. unless you are looking to build a car. In that case you are already a step toward a big boy turbo, but you would be looking at a few grand there. My opinion is spend a little more upfront and get a solid car versus buying something that is already problematic unless you can do the work yourself. As a VW community we are always willing to help. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you want a 4cl wagon for the family go with a Volvo...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beetle Turbo

Question for the community related to turbos, I just purchased a new turbo for my 2000 1.8T New Beetle part #06A 145 704S, apparently the blown turbo is part#06A 145 704L but I was told they are interchangeable by CX Racing so I went ahead and ordered it. The problem I ran into is the aluminum intake that bolts to the turbo from my car is part#06A133607D, apparently there is another intake with the part#06A133607F, does anyone know the diameter differences on the 2 later parts, which is bigger? If the one ending in F is bigger that would be a plus to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts