VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am having that fun issue of a smog problem. I bought a car that needed smog (dumb I know) but now I get to go through the hassle of repairing it to smog it. I have done a lot so far and now I have narrowed it down to two systems.

1. Catalytic converter
2. EVAP system

I have two questions here. One, california has some dumb as* smog rules so I am curious if anybody knows of an aftermarket exhaust system that I can buy and install and will still allow me to pass smog in California. I have to replace the cat which is going to cost me an arm already so might as well get something I want that doesn't sound like a rice rocket. Ideas?

Second question, where do I start on the EVAP system?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Find a place that looks the other way. Or get a PO box in a state that doesn't need it. Register the car there. Then have all your mail forwarded to your real address. We have counties here that don't require smog and that's what a lot of people do.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea this California stuff is annoying wouldve bought my downpipe or turbo back already!!!!
I get smogged in June so almost

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Probably the best advice is keep all your stock parts. Switch it back and forth when it needs inspected. Pain in the ass but what else is there to do

·
Registered
163 Posts
Or pay somebody that makes it pass lol...
Last time I heard a smog place can make it pass for $150 Idk about that

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my first problem is that I have to replace the cat anyways. It won't pass right now as it is. I don't want to buy a cat that passes, then purchase an after market system as well to have (that doesn't pass).

I guess my question is, is there any aftermarket exhausts that DO pass CA smog. I am curious if anybody has any installed right now that are in the "gas state standard".

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just get an aftermarket cat back it won't pass if you delete the cat and that is only sometimes when you are going Dowpipe to straight pipe or to highflow cat or a full turboback...
Get a 2.5 mafnaflow cat back with the dual tips I can assure you it's sounds very nice but if you are flashed and want serious power gains you'll need that downpipe or full turboback

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just get an aftermarket cat back it won't pass if you delete the cat and that is only sometimes when you are going Dowpipe to straight pipe or to highflow cat or a full turboback...
Get a 2.5 mafnaflow cat back with the dual tips I can assure you it's sounds very nice but if you are flashed and want serious power gains you'll need that downpipe or full turboback
I was looking at a magnaflow cat back already so thanks for the info. Other than anything else that COULD be wrong with my golf, the 2.5 cat back is smog legal in cali?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes I pass it no problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FINALLY!!! I passed. It just cost the a new cat, temp sensor, coolant flush and 4 tests but finally I passed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts