VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all; I'm definitely looking into getting the APR chip for me 2002 1.8t, but I'm gonna have 200 bucks before I have 500, so I thought about getting the carbonio CAI.
(http://www.carboniointakes.com/dd.htm)
Can I have both on? I want the cool "woosh" sound and the extra hp the chip's gonna give me...anyone see any problems?
Thanks.!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I have both on my car but diffrent CAI. I've found that with it being colder out and having the denser air, it set off a CEL. I put the airbox back in until it gets warm in the spring. I'm not sure the colder air really does this, but since i dont have a VAG-COM yet, i don't want to bring it to the dealer just for a reset.
jon

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Another option would be to buy the APR MAF unit, which is designed to read the larger air mass required by big power, big turbo cars. This should eliminate the over read that the current sensors are giving off. Go to their website ( www.goapr.com ) and hunt around for it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool, thanks alot! Oh, one more question...is this thing hard to install (the CAI) or should I have someone else do it? If I do, should I go to a VW dealer, or just any mechanic? And how much can I expect to pay?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I am just confirming Fli Gti Option.
Go APR !
I take the car to the track once in a while,
St. Thomas Sparta Speedway. The chip shred 1 full second of my time. Which now is Mid 16's.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Do the CAI yourself. Just as mark, he lent me the tools while at a car show and it took me a whole 30 min (total time after i got the right tools and trying to find mark) to install it.
jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
The chip shred 1 full second of my time. Which now is Mid 16's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what engine do you have?? 2.0?? I haven't been to the track yet but i thought a stock 1.8t will do mid-low 15's and with a chip you can hit high 14's.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
It is 1.8T. I have yet to see even a Golf with just a chip in it do mid or low 14's GTI 2001. I have a friend who works for Leavens VW and he has a Dealership car, (Cosmic Green 1.8T Golf) with chip, he does Mid 15's. Golf is usually 1/2 second faster, even a second then me. I took my spoiler off and then helps only by a bit, since it really only affect top end speed. It weighted nothing (aluminium). Another friend Tito from Evolution Racing in TO has a Golf with 2 VR6 engines in it and he does 13's. Here is a pic of his A2 Golf.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Like i said, i haven't raced mine yet. I want to this spring. I wasn't saying mid-low 14's. I'm talking about something like 14.9-14.8. That's what i've read on vortex. oh well.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
GTI2001 I wasn't getting defensive. Keep in mind I ain't no pro, it could be, that a better driver could achieve lower figures. Anyway, my best run ever was 16.2 for whatever it is worth. I wish I could have gotten a Golf instead it would definetly be faster at this point.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
hey, no offence taken. all is good. Can't wait till spring comes around to see what i can do.
jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts