VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 6 months after my 10k maintenance I noticed a scraping sound at the right rear wheel. It turns out the rotor is totally scraped, and it could be that the caliper is damaged (though I cannot be sure)The situation now is very bad and the sound gets worse by the day. Since I think my dealer (martens vw washington dc) did a loiusy job by not detecting a possible problem I am looking for a trustworthy independent in the DC area. Anyone can help?
Also, where could I find rear calipers for the cabrio on the net (if worse comes to worse?). Thanks a lot and take care.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fernando:
Only 6 months after my 10k maintenance I noticed a scraping sound at the right rear wheel. It turns out the rotor is totally scraped, and it could be that the caliper is damaged (though I cannot be sure)The situation now is very bad and the sound gets worse by the day. Since I think my dealer (martens vw washington dc) did a loiusy job by not detecting a possible problem I am looking for a trustworthy independent in the DC area. Anyone can help?
Also, where could I find rear calipers for the cabrio on the net (if worse comes to worse?). Thanks a lot and take care.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rear brakes on VW's are so easy to replace. I would suggest you do it yourself. You basically take the wheel off, and then two 7mm (IIRC) allen head bolts for the caliper carrier, and then one screw for the rotor. You then pop the pads out, coat the back of the new ones with grease (to prevent squeaks), take off the old rotor, replace, fit the pads onto the carrier, and then fit the caliper back onto the carrier. The only thing you will need is the caliper compressor tool to push the piston back in, you cannot use a C clamp to do this. VW Calipers in the rear need to turn while being compressed. You can buy this tool, as well as the new rotor, and pads all at www.partsforvws.com

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just go buy the bently for you car, that will set you back about $50 but will tell you how to do just about everything to your car. You will save a lot of money that way.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 87cabriolet:
Just go buy the bently for you car, that will set you back about $50 but will tell you how to do just about everything to your car. You will save a lot of money that way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I totally agree. I used my bentley to do my front brakes. very good investment.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Why is it that so many people post asking for good dealerships? As far as the DC area goes, I wouldn't know. I think we should start a list of good dealerships we know of around the country.

My additions are Lynch Imports in Daytona Beach, FL and Montesi VW in North Haven, CT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts