VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a suspension kit from Autotech in that will lower my car 1.5". http://www.autotech.com/suspkit.htm
It's a 4 dr MK IV Golf 1.8t. Anyway, I just wondered since the camber is "non-adjustable" on the MK IV chassis, with this kind of drop will my tires wear out more quickly or improperly. With the drop I am supposed to get with these springs (1.5 inch) it will give me 1.2 degrees of negative camber which doesn't sound like a lot. But I am just afraid over time that the insides of the tires will wear out prematurely. I have heard that if I corner hard (which i do ;-)) that this will help and that I shouldn't worry... but I have also heard that this tiny amount of negative camber may shorten the life of the tire by 5k miles 10k or possibly worse. I have 225-40 18's on 18" Zenders and with that profile... should I worry?
The only company that has a camber kit coming out soon for MK IV is KMAC and it won't be for a month or two. How has anyone else handled this.... or not. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had a set of Pirelli P 7000 40 series 18's with a 1.8" drop (H&R Coilover's) that lasted well over 39,000 of very hard driven miles. So you really shouldn't worry to much. Just keep a constant eye on them and monitor there wear. And technically you can't adjust the camber on MKIV's. Just take a crowbar and torque on the subframe a little to try and get it back to zero. This is what I did when I got mine aligned and worked pretty good. But of course I lost a little when I started hitting the corners hard again

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
As Andy said about watching the wear make sure you rotate your tires regularly. I do it every second oil change. Also don't torque your wheels higher then 85-90 lb-ft. as this will warp your discs believe it or not most mechanics at VW are trained to torque them at 110 which is on purpose. They want you to come back

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
believe it or not most mechanics at VW are trained to torque them at 110 which is on purpose. They want you to come back
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
grrrrr. f-ers!!! I rotate mine every 2 oil changes as well

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know why I keep seeing posts with "you can't adjust the camber?"

I honestly don't know how to but I just goto my alignment guy and he takes care of it. he does something and then the numbers on the machine light up green. I agree if you slam 3" down then you'll need camber plates to adjust your camber then but with a 1.5" drop just goto a good alignment shop and have them align your car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... Got the suspension kit on: autotech springs billstein shocks... neuspeed upper front sway bar....
they promised a 1.5" drop and it's nearly two as it is a four door 1.8t... my tech guy says it's because the 4dr is slightly heavier. Anyway, I got an alignment and the camber/caster was not an issue at all. The back was perfect and the front was well less than one degree negative... which is what I was hoping for. I know if I rotate them regularly it will be fine.

I will be posting pics of my "4 door euro gti" very soon....
cheers, Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts