VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does any one have a aftermarcket cam in there vw. and if so thoughts on its performance.... thanks guys

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blkjetta:
hey does any one have a aftermarcket cam in there vw. and if so thoughts on its performance.... thanks guys<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What engine? What year?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh sorry guys the cam type is for a 2.o 8v thats in a 1998 jetta

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
You would want to upgrade you valvesprings before you do a cam. '96 and later 2Ls came with crappy single valve springs. You have to change both the springs and retainers. TT sells the retainers as well as the HD springs, and Autotech sell it all as a kit.

If I were you, I'd go with a Techtonics 266 Hydro cam or a Autotech Sport Hydro 270. Expect about 5-6hp increase... and even more if you have en exhaust.

·
Registered
180 Posts
has anyone had any experience with the tt 276 cam in a mkIII 2.0? im also looking at tt's new lightened lifters, they are 8 grams lighter than stock ones.. that seems like it would make a pretty big difference and maybe you wouldn't even need to replace the valve springs... i don't know this for a fact, anyone have any comments on that?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GLgod:
has anyone had any experience with the tt 276 cam in a mkIII 2.0? im also looking at tt's new lightened lifters, they are 8 grams lighter than stock ones.. that seems like it would make a pretty big difference and maybe you wouldn't even need to replace the valve springs... i don't know this for a fact, anyone have any comments on that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Stay around the 266 and 270's, if you are doing a turbo you want a 260ºcam. No matter what you should replace the valve springs, this isn't requierd, but your lifters will wear out. While your in there do it all, Lifters, Cam, Spring, bolts...

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwspeed97:
whats the average price?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
$130 TT 266 sport cam

Cam Gear: $70

Valve Springs: <$100

Labor??? Aaron this one is for you.

[ December 17, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

[ December 17, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Lets see:

TT276 is getting too big for the 2L. Not so much for the engine itself, but for the limits of the injection.

I've ridden in a MK2 with a full OBD1 ABA swap, Hannaford stg3 head and a Autotech 270. I was impressed.

As noted above, '96 and later MK3s should have the valve springs and retainers replaced for dual springs... all of them.

Lightened lifters wont make a bit of differance that you'll notice, but new lifters never hurt. If you don't have a lifter tick at all, don't worry about it. They seem to last about 150k miles before taking a crap, but usually longer than that.

Prices:
TT:

266 $130
276 $200
Cam gear $90
Valve springs $70
Retainers $34
Std Hydro Lifters (96-up) $14each
Std Hydro Lifters (85-95) $10each

Autotech:

270 sport $120
260 sport $120
Cam gear $90
Sport tuned valve springs with retainers and lower seats for '96-up cars, complete conversion kit $240

Above prices are retail.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
How much for labor for cam/springs/gear Aaron?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
About $200... plus the plane ticket to get me there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts