VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what cam best fits a 2.0? im not real knowlegable about it. whats the average price? thnx any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Turbo is a 260º
N/a would be 268º , 272º

Price around 120-130$ Recomended you use upgrade valve srpings.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
+ how many HP on average? anyone have cams put into there 2.0?

·
Registered
24 Posts
as soon as you get the cams change the timing belt if the belt brake you are going to need a new head... like me

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jettism:
as soon as you get the cams change the timing belt if the belt brake you are going to need a new head... like me
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh but how many miles did you have on the belt?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
It alows you to adjust the timing a few degrees externally. Often they are lighter so there is less rotation mass, will help the car rev quicker, slightly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've heard good things about neuspeed cams are they worth looking at or not?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Neuspeed Products are generaly not top of the line parts. Not Bashing Neuspeed! They make good parts, I dont know much about their cams, but the leaders in cams are

Techtonics
Autotech
Eurosport
Schrink
Kent

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not to contradict 98a4's statement but what an adjustable timing gear does is that it allows you to advance or retard the timing so that you can move around horsepower from one range to another.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so basically it just gives you more control over what the cam does? and the cam gives more overall power over the powerband? and that is what can be adjusted?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Yeh advancing or retarding the timing will move the power band up or down a few hundred RPM to alow you to suit it to your driving.
Low end torque is noticeable, but it isn't night and day. You sacrafice some low end for a much stronger top end.

Advancing the camshaft by 4 degrees will move the power band about 200 RPM lower in the RPM band. Retarding the cam by 4 degrees will likewise move the power band 200 RPM higher in the RPM band.

Short duration with a wide separation angle might be best for towing, producing a strong, smooth low-end torque curve.

Long duration with a short separation angle might be suited for high-rpm drag racing, with a high-end, sharp torque peak. (Crappy idol, the stroke begins moving upward while the valve has yet to close, this alow spend exhaust gasses to be pushed into the intake manifold, that is your reason for shitty idol with long duration cams.

Moderate duration with wide separation angle might be best suited for an all-around street performance engine, producing a longer, smoother torque band that can still breathe well at higher RPM.

Autotech is a quality company, also look at TT.

[ February 05, 2004: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got another question or two. I've heard that the longer duration you go with the more you will lose when it comes to low end power. This makes sense but to those of you who have these cams in how much do you really lose. Is it noticable or really quite minor? Also is Autotech a good place to go to pick up performance valve springs, retainers, and valves. I know they sell kits with this stuff but is it any good?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts