VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get to my camshaft drive belt. I have taken the two nuts off the top of the drivebelt upper cover. I can not figure out how to get the Socket-head shouldered nut off that holds the bottom part of the cover on. What tool should I have to use, it just looks like a round plug. PS I have an 86' Golf with the 1.8 sohc gas engine.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by irocman:
I am trying to get to my camshaft drive belt. I have taken the two nuts off the top of the drivebelt upper cover. I can not figure out how to get the Socket-head shouldered nut off that holds the bottom part of the cover on. What tool should I have to use, it just looks like a round plug. PS I have an 86' Golf with the 1.8 sohc gas engine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

6mm allen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, it was a six millimeter allen. Feel like a dumb ass, any way now I am trying to take off the crankshaft pulley bolt. Any suggestions, that thing wont budge. BTW yes it is the timing belt.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by irocman:
Any suggestions, that thing wont budge. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give up. Last one I pulled was on a motor I didn't care about. I had to fill one of the bores with small bolts through the sparkplug hole and use it to stop the motor.

Why exactly do you need to remove the pulley?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am trying to pull the lower cover and the pulley must come off to get it off. Not only that I mangeled the pulley with a pair of Vice grips so It must come off to repair. I have tried a breaker bar and hitting the starter. No such luck, I am thinking of giving up on the old thing, its got 450,000 miles on it, and been through a lot. I am looking at a MK3 right now. 96 golf GL 5 speed for 2250. But I hate to give up on her shes been such a reliable car for me.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
My friend has a Rabbit with 635,000 on it, don't give up so soon. It's just a real pain in the ass. I'm sure you've put it in 5th and blocked the wheels already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ummmmm you dont have to take the bolt out to remove the v belt pully to remove the timing belt cover...remeber that allen key you needed before?? use that to remove the 4 allen bolts ..the center bolt stays on... what are you guys smoking ..?? the help you got from bolts in the can plan dude was burnt!!! :idea:

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Good work... replying to a 2.5 year old thread really helped I'm sure :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts