VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can 3 buttons remote with trunk release be reprogram to passat wagon with 2 buttons?

Hi all,

does anyone know if standard 3 buttons remote for model year 2000 or newer can be reprogram to use on 2001 passat wagon which used 2 buttons remote w/o trunk release?

[ February 04, 2004: Message edited by: db ]

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Welcome!
Are you talking about converting to a switchblade key type? If so...

Here are some simplified instructions and pictures on how to go to the switchblade remote.

First, buy a switchblade remote. You have two choices:
1.) Buy used from E-bay listings - they are in the $15 to $40 range.
2.) Buy new from the dealer - around $75 - $85 (without key)

Second, program your remote. Again, you have two choices:
1.) The dealer can do it for around $35
2.) You can do it for free. Just follow the back pages of your manual for reprogramming your remote, or see the attached image. It takes about one minute.

Third, get your switchblade remote key. Again, you have two choices:
1.) The dealer can order it for around $45 - $60 and I believe you have to wait for it to be shipped already cut by the factory.
2.) You can modify one of your existing keys to fit in the switchblade. This takes about an hour of grinding and fiddling with, but it is easy work. Sorry don't have any detailed pictures for this procedure.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Josh, I believe that 2000-up Passats have the switchblade keys already. As for converting to a 3 button remote...I haven't seen a Passat Wagon with one yet. If you have a remote release on the door for the trunk, then I think it is possible...if the remote release on the door isn't there, then it works completely off your regular door locks, and should open when you hit the remote button for unlock...you might have to hit it twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the advise. I believe the passat wagon remote is same as eurovan, which only have lock, unlock, & panic (on the side). The key is switchblade type as shown on Josh's post but without the trun release in the center. i think i will try my luck at e-bay with 3 buttons remote and try to reprogram to lock and unlock only (thats all i really need anyway) thanks again for all the input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts