VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a '96 Jetta GL 2.0 w/ drum brakes. Last week I lost pretty much all of my break pressure and the pedal just kept going to the floor. Thought it might have been a fitting because I just had the two rear lines to the rear proportioning valve replaced. Found fluid coated on the valve itself; So bypassed it. One new line coupled straight to the passenger side. And the driver side was extended into the hose. Ok so after doing that, rear bleeder screws both snapped and even with taking the lines off of the cylinders, couldnt bleed the system out. So I replaced both cylinders, and bled and bled all four wheels. Still have air in the system and I'm not seeing any leaks. Could this be because I need that valve and cant bypass it since I believe this is where the problem started? Or Could I possibly have a bad master cylinder? Appreciate any info on this. Thanks, Ed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but why wouldn't you just replace the proportioning valve if it's leaking? Kind of seems like a possible recipe for disaster to be jerry-rigging your brakes back together...

·
Registered
501 Posts
WHEN IN DOUGHT, PULL OUT!!

I'm leaning more towards the master cyl. pull it out without disconnecting the line and look for leaks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I place a couple of pieces of fresh cardboard on the floor and start the car. I then pump the brakes With the power assist it will give you plenty of pressure. After a few minutes I shut the car off and look for the drips.

I have to agree bypassing the proportioning valve is a bad idea. Do you have someone assisting you bleeding the brakes or are you using some gadget?

As long as not cross threaded it should not be that hard of a deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's all about cost

The reason I bypassed is because I'm a broke bachelor and can't afford to sink too much money into this car; this part is pricy. I have assistance with bleeding them. I have checked there is no leaks in the system, except of course where the valve was leaking which is why I bypassed it. From what I'm gathering from talking with a local vw dealer and from a couple posts here I need the stupid thing. I was just curious if anyone had ever done, or heard of bypassing it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I understand cost if you priced it at a vw dealer painful I am sure
check out this location. Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I get a lot of stuff here.
I have never done it but have parted a lot of other things off of a car so you may want to check a junk yard and see if you can grab one there cant imagine it would be more than 30 bucks.
I also have another source for parts on the home computer if this does not work let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts