VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. those who have been paying attention know that i totalled my MkIII VR6 and i just got a MkII golf.

i didn't buy it from my dad just yet so he's the one that decided to put a new 8 valve engine in it (when the original one seized up THE DAY I GOT THE CAR). i personally would rather swap in a 16 valve...

is there enough i can do to an 8 valve to make it fast...or should i just sit back and drool at the better engines until i get the $$$$$ to buy a better one?

i realize i can spend a few grand and get the basics (intake, headers, exhaust, cams, etc.) ... but is it worth the time and money???

i'm looking for some real constructive criticism before i start dishing out my 'hard-earned' cash... haha...

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Well as you may or may not have know that was my 1992 A2 8V in the header. It was chipped, have a intake, upgraded the cam, Neuspeed wiring, booche tri plugs...And most of all I keep it clean and well maintained. The car had 125K when I sold it. I replaced the clutch, trans & flywheel at 70K. That car was bulletproof, it prob was pushin 150 HP when I left it go. I miss that car almost everyday...but my wife said enough is enough we have too many cars all ready. Someday I will get another. I will probably drop a VR6 or a 2.0 in a A2 again. Here are some pics to share:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those are some nice pics. i hope to keep mine nice and clean like that too.

i noticed that you had the passive shoulder belt with no lap belt also. i've never seen this before i got mine. i've had two MkIIs before, but neither of them had it.

i'm planning on getting 5 point harnesses as a safer restraint. ...and the fact that my accident scared me into being a safety nut.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
everytime i look at your mk2, i love ti more and more. so sweet.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jettablitzkrieg:
those are some nice pics. i hope to keep mine nice and clean like that too.

i noticed that you had the passive shoulder belt with no lap belt also. i've never seen this before i got mine. i've had two MkIIs before, but neither of them had it.

i'm planning on getting 5 point harnesses as a safer restraint. ...and the fact that my accident scared me into being a safety nut.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It had the factory seatbelt's all that was...was a shoulder pad of some flava'.
Thanks boys!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm with dubwink on that one! I can only dream to have my A2 look that good!

As for the engines, from what I know, read and hear, the 16v is a less reliable engine than the 8v. And you won't lose much power by having the 8v.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
That car was bulletproof...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As one of the Monks. I agree.

PS: These pics are freaggin' Fannnnnnnnnn-Tastic!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
man, i want mine to be that clean. but i think its going to take another one to bet that good. i need a new paint job, dye the black, take out the engine and clean/paint there, get some body work done, get a new radio, get some wireing fixed up, and then some new wheels. but before all that i have to stop the burning oil, fix some lifters, and shit. so much money to waste. well, not waste, but spend that isnt really worth cuz i wont see it again. now, if i keep her for like 5 more years, (most likly not going to happen) then i would do all that. sry for the long, boring post, but its on my mind i thought about sharing it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I've got an 8v(Check sig for mods) and it will run with any 16v in my town. When iwent to the p&p solid lifter head it was like a whole new car. The g-grind cam makes it pull all the way to the redline.

Just thought i would whore out some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I used to cruise around in that a2 gti years ago.That car was perfect inside and out.As for making a 8v faster the best thing to do is a better trans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok from one well experianced in tuning 8v's and 16v's.

My Jetta 16v with Exhaust and euro intake cam. 1/4 mile in 16.0
My Friends Golf 8v with exhaust 2.0 11:1 P&P head 288 cam (biggest you can fit on hydrolic only fits if you clearence the lifter bores)fuel enrichment etc etc etc. 1/4 mile time of 16.4

CLosely matched on the street.

NO WAY ARE YOU PUSHING 150 WHP. NO 8v can.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Morgan Ransom:

My Friends Golf 8v with exhaust 2.0 11:1 P&P head 288 cam (biggest you can fit on hydrolic only fits if you clearence the lifter bores)fuel enrichment etc etc etc. 1/4 mile time of 16.4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry to tell you but 150 out of an 8v isn't that hard. if you mean no turbo or supercharger it's harder. But a g60 is an 8v and that puts out at least 150. I'm going with carbs soon hopfully and then a big shot of nitrous. I'll easily clear 150. maybe daves wasn't 150 but to say that no 8v will put out 150 isn't correct. And also 1/4 mile times don't always mean more horspower. There's a lot of factors that go into it. Driving is the biggest. whell size tires, your gearing on the tranny. A 16v has a closer ratio gearbox than an 8v so that helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey now if ur talkin a 1.8l 8v then yeah u can make it quick but u r limited to what u can do such as a turbo in the future...i personally did a 2.0 8v crossflow swap in my golf...cam...lightened flywheel...straight pipeing, full exaust system and lost the ps and ac...the thing now can hand mk3 vr6's its ass...just an idea

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey now if ur talkin a 1.8l 8v then yeah u can make it quick but u r limited to what u can do such as a turbo in the future...i personally did a 2.0 8v crossflow swap in my golf...cam...lightened flywheel...straight pipeing, full exaust system and lost the ps and ac...the thing now can hand mk3 vr6's its ass...just an idea

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Morgan Ransom:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not really wanting to get into this to deeply, but here it goes.

I've seen 180hp 1.8L N/A 8vs
I've seen 200+hp 2.0 N/A 8vs
I've seen 300+hp turbo 8vs

I've ridden in an OBD1 ABA converted A2 with portwork and a large cam and it really surprised me.
I've driven a Callaway Stage 2 Rabbit GTI with a 1.8L 8v, and it gave me a rather large smile.

Bottom line. If you HAVE to do it with an 8v, it can be done. If you really WANT to do it with an 8v it can be done. A 16v will get you more easy power if you're the lazy, cheap, or not wanting to play with engine internals type. But don't count the 8v out by any means.

BTW: I ran 14.50 with my Rabbit 16v. No portwork, stock 1.8L longblock except for the intake cam. It'll go 13s when it gets traction (which is why I'm building a tranny this week with a Quaife in it).

[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Fourt1thirty ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 92vdubin:
hey now if ur talkin a 1.8l 8v then yeah u can make it quick but u r limited to what u can do such as a turbo in the future...i personally did a 2.0 8v crossflow swap in my golf...cam...lightened flywheel...straight pipeing, full exaust system and lost the ps and ac...the thing now can hand mk3 vr6's its ass...just an idea<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can doit wit a 1.8l 8v. If you switch todigi 1 then you can run boost no problem. Or if it's in your bugdt then do stand alone. The only thing that limits a person when it comes to stuff like this si your wallet. If you've got the funds then big numbers can be had with even small motors. and oh yeah i know it's not the same but the new 1.8t is a 8v.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
and oh yeah i know it's not the same but the new 1.8t is a 8v.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last I checked the 1.8t was a 20v

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
Last I checked the 1.8t was a 20v<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My fault. I thought they were similar to the 2.0 aba engine. I stand corrected.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts