VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay so I was waiting in line to get coffee the other day and I was playing around with my new car a 94 golf when I finally figured out how to turn on the back wiper which I couldn't figure out how to turn off so I shut the car. on attempting to restart all I would get is a click and the damn horn to honk, so I shook the battery cables which weird a little loose and got it to start so then I kept it running and I tighten the cable end as much as I could without tools (random screws) and left it running, then as it was almost my turn I noticed that my rpm gauge just dropped off completely but the motor kept running. then I went to move up one spot and it just died pushed it into a park spot (ironically an ace hardware) where I ran in and graped a pair of jumper cables with a quick jump (didn't have the cables hooked up to long) which I was able to make it about 3 miles to work.-8 hours later- I had a cowork wait for me in case I needed another jump and it started I let it warm up/charge as I tightened the cable ends again (tighten the screws I put in earlier). while I was resetting the clock and radio I noticed it started missing so I shut off all unnecessary elec and tried to rev it and eventually it died. shook battery cables and could get it to crank (and honk erg I hate that) but not enough juice to start. Anyway being the rednecks we are I had my roomate bring me a spare battery which allowed me to start and drive the car about 10 miles to almost home when on the highway I noticed the speedo drop first then the tach then the light dim super bad (had to run two red light to make it to a nice parking lot where I would be able to get our car hualer in there to tow it in the AM.
Anyway just charged the bat again and drove her home. tested alternator -fine- visually checked the volt reg and looked excellent. Then I cleaned and checked the cables going from the alternator to the starter then starter to battery (changed cable ends for battery so they fit right) then cleaned the ground. Havn't gotten to test it since I hooked everything back up (worked late and it's cold and snowing) I did notice something though where the clip attaches to the alternator it looks as if there is only one wire and there is room for two but I can't see any dangling wire. Is there any thing I am missing? according to all data there is no fuse that I could find, and I couldn't really see where the other wires go coming off the alt. So in short used 2 different batteries that I have ran almost completely dead so it's not the battery and tested the alt so it doesn't seem to be that. and I had driven the car back and forth from work all week and hadn't had a problem, used the radio, heater, head lamps everything. please help I really like this and would love to have it as a daily driver minus the damn horn honking everthim the battery is connected lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
all data wiring diagram says that apparently there is just that one blue wire coming off the clip so that answers that. point of interest "T1b connector, single near battery" anyone know about that or have a pic it's some sort of connection off that one wire?

·
Registered
63 Posts
With a fully charged battery at a fast idle with no accessories on, you should read 13.5vdc to 15.5vdc across the battery and it shouldn't drop much when you turn on the accessories, lights, etc..

With everything off the current drain from the battery should be less than 100 mA and probably in the 20 mA range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts