VW Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just bought my first Golf/Volkswagen. It’s a 2004 Golf GL with a little over 100k miles, N/A in-line 4, and a 5-speed. I’m hoping I didn’t just get screwed over after the fun drive home I had. What was discovered after the fact was that when the car is at speeds 75+ for several minutes that the car suddenly starts blowing huge blue smoke clouds in bursts going down the road. My friend behind me said he could smell the burning oil right before this would happen. Keeping the car at speeds below 75mph, the car didn’t blow any smoke at all. I set the cruise control at 70 and it didn’t do it the rest of the way home (40 miles).
The car appears to run just fine, no warning lights, misfires, or overheating. I didn’t find any warning signs of a head gasket issue when looking at the car. Oil was old but clean, and the coolant was full and not bubbling up at all. I tried some hard accelerations as well as idling the car and giving it some gas to see if I get a puff to no avail. It only occurs when at high speeds for and extended period of time. My mind thinks it’s PCV related like something is plugged up, but I don’t know anything about these cars, I’m new to the platform. I was wondering if anyone more experienced has an idea where to start or could point me in the right direction.
Pretty much picked this up to replace my current daily with nearly 400k miles and was pretty frustrated on the drive back. Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts