VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 02 gti 1.8t and it randomly died tonight driving home on the highway. Its been running fine since ive owned it(2 months or so) so I'm kinda lost. Ill get it home tomorrow morning but i just did a quick once over and everything looked fine but you know how that goes. i running 70 mph with the cruise set and it knocked off the cruise, rpm went down medium pace i guess, battery light came on, i threw it in neutral and got to the side. terminals are tight, mac sensor is tight, everything seems like like i said. i read it could be my fuel filter/pump or crank sensor. Id rather try my crank sensor/fuel filter rather than the pump first. anything else i should be looking for? i don't have vagcom and there are no mods on the car. 150k tt auto. thanks guys

·
Registered
322 Posts
Doesn't really sound like it, but I would check and make sure your timing belt is in tact and tight. Always the first thing I would check when a car dies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We had a datsun 280z, that had a loose connection under the dash. when that wire got hot, it would disconnect.. And the car just cut off.Cool back off its fine, check connections possibly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fuel pump isn't turning on nor do I hear clicking from the relay. None of the auto parts stores have the relay on hand so looks like I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i went and got a new relay and that wasn't it, so i decided to make sure the timing was good and wouldn't it be my damn luck the belt was broke! I'm not dumping money into this car. ill replace the belt and see how it runs i guess. if anyone wants to buy it let me know! and to top it off vw dealer said i couldn't return the relay because its an electrical part. needless to say i need to find my happy place.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You will have damage. You can try to just replace the belt, but I bet you'll be doing more damage than helping anything. A 1.8T is an interference engine.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah you may have screwed your head and theres a very VERY good chance you bent your valves
If the belt broke while driving, he definitely bent some valves. Sometimes the valve head breaks off and bounces around the cylinder and smashes into the cylinder head, which can ruin the head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts