VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When accelerating from 0-50, my car rattle but the steering wheel does not. Anyone experienced this?I just had two brand new tires installed on the front, Dunlop SSPA2.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
what type of rattle would this be? possible rattling noises could be numerous things. common rattles are loose heat shields, exhaust systems, but if you were saying something about tires... im not really sure.
sorry i don't have any more input

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think its more of the car is shaking than rattling. sorry! yep, the car seem to shake when accelerating and i can feel more of it on the front seats.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Migui:
i think its more of the car is shaking than rattling. sorry! yep, the car seem to shake when accelerating and i can feel more of it on the front seats.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you have just gotten 2 new front tires it sounds like your tires need air or a front end alignment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 86 Golf would do that too after new tires. Front end alignement is never a bad thing when you get new tires! Hope it works out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would say that youshould probably look at your rear tires. I work for discount tire, and I also have dunlops which are pretty nice tires. but gnerally i shaking in the stearing wheel means the front tires should be replaced and a shaking in the seat would indacte that the rear tires are bad....just a possibility.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. The two old tires that are mounted on my rear came from the front. Before I bought the new tires, I never had any of this shaking problem. Infact, I had the tire shop wheel balance all tires just to make sure that things are okay.

I went to the tire shop and they checked the Dunlop they sold me and they seem fine.

Could this possibly be a tie rod or ball joint issue? I checked out all my wheels to see of any visible damages and for any loose bolts and nuts but, didnt find any.

I haven't checked the wheel bearings on the outer and inner. Can bearing problems cause the car to shake when accelerating? How do I know if my tie rod or ball joints is bad?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regarding the wheel bearing: you should be having a 'broken bearing noise' all the time, not just when you accelerate. Basically, it should sound as if the car is running over rough pavement with a bad bearing. Re. the rest of the possibilities, I am not sure what to say, so I'll shut up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may call this weird. But maybe its just the way Germans design the Jetta. The shaking I've been complaining about is slowly going away and I noticed this driving home from work last night. Whatever misaligned down there may have adjusted itself. I will check the nuts and bolts this weekend and I hope to find the source, if not, I'm SOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts