2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 1998 VW Jetta GT
Engine: 2.0L
Transmission: Auto

The car has been sitting for approx. 1 year
I was replacing all 4 rotors and pads for a guy I work with
I jump the car and we let it idle for a bit. the idle was way low
around 400-500 rpms. Motor was shaking and having a hard time.
I let it idle then drove it up and down a the driveway. Then the idle fixed at around 900-1,000rpm's

I pull the car out onto the road starting off slow and letting the tranny take it's time.
Right as it seemed like the car was about to shift into second gear the rpms drop
to 1,000 and the car seems to just die. I let off the gas, the car is creeping along
so I give it gas and try to get going. It acelerates fine but as soon as it starts to get
up to around 25-30mph it drops off again.

He said he had a tune up done on it before he left it just sit for a year. I checked and the fuel
filter looks newer, the plugs were fine and the air filter looked great. I checked the oil it was
normal and at level. There was no tranny dipstick on this car. I checked the manual it said VW dealer
has to check and maintain tranny levels. The engine responds perfectly while in nuetral and will rev
to 5,000 and above rpms. I filled the gas tank with fresh gas.
The only way to describe it is as if a governor is not letting the car get past a certain speed or shifting point.
I suspect maybe an electric control or some type of actuator from the engine to tranny maybe a module
of some sort. Not sure. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump i dont thimnk its the tranny check out the cat might be out bc that happened to me and my car would red line and only go 40 tops

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the road the car only goes to like 30mph
an 3,000 rpms so it's not like it's
redlining and not going anywhere.

Does anyone know how to check the tranny
fluid on a 98 Jetta GT with an auto trans
and a 2.0L motor?????

Thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VWgenIII:

Does anyone know how to check the tranny
fluid on a 98 Jetta GT with an auto trans
and a 2.0L motor?????

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your best bet would be to go down to your local Autozone and grab a $16 Haynes "Golf/Jetta 1993 thru 1998" repai manual #96017. Thats what I am looking at right now, and rather than dictate the entire section to you in this post, it would be beneficial for you to have it first hand.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
colin it isnt the fule pump.
Tranny fluid levels would be a good start, anytime a car has sat for an extended period of time the fluids begin to seperate and get all f'd up. I'd recomend changing all the fluids in the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 96 golf and mine did something like that and it ended up being a vaccum leak you might want to check that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts