VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering..... I was looking to get an intake for my GTI 1.8T, and i've heard a lot of people rave about the Carbonio. I searched and read most of the previous posts, but none really seemed to help. I live in NY and we get plenty of rain and snow..... I didn't want to buy a CAI intake if i was gonna have to worry about water being an issue. Does water get into the Carbonio easily, and if yes are there any suggestions on how to prevent this? Someone mentioned a bypass valve, does it really work? Anyway... if you guys could help me out with any suggestions on what to do or not to do with an intake, that would be great.

[ February 22, 2004: Message edited by: Dubsessed ]

[ February 22, 2004: Message edited by: Dubsessed ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I have a carbonio, and love it. I live in PA, so I have similar weather to you. the carbonio sits very low in the front bumper=more colder air. plus, the carbonio is also 3" pipe, and all real cabon fiber--which looks soo nice. I clear coated mine=real nice when polished up. I know its expensive-around $250-280-and a lot of people can't see spending that much money for a cai, but it looks hot. the velocity cai is aroudn 130 I think, and people say a cai is a cai no matter what. in the end, you have to see what you can/want to spend. best.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
I have a carbonio, and love it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gosh i like this guy more every time i read a post! im in total agreement, just i live at the beach where roads are flooded all the time and we get horrible monsoons..... i actually hacked off about 3 1/2 inches of my carbonio to make it sit where i wanted it to wich held the filter about 1 1/2 inches higher and made it alot easier to install as well, as long as you use a little common sence you wont have any problem at all, such as dont get above 3,000 rpms when its pooring rain, if you see a giant puddle across the road, find another way there, i too was worried about this but it is really not an issue....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I LIVE IN NY ALSO AND I WAS CONCERNED OVER THE SAME THING...CARBONIO'S ANSWER IS THAT AS LONG AS YOU DON'T COMEPLETE SUBMERGE THE FILTER YOU'RE GOOD 2 GO...JUST THE SAME I KEEP MY REVS UNDER 3G'S
WHEN IT RAINS

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You would need to drive though a hell of a puddle to soak the filter. Keeping your revs down in the rain isn't necessary unless you know you have driven through a deep pocket of water. After a drive in the rain, reach under and feel the filter, front gets a little damp, but the back and sides stay pretty much dry. Iv never heard a bad thing about the Carbonio CAI, cept for the price as Brian discussed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Carbonio is a nice intake, but it's way to expensive 250.00 Just get the cheapest CAI you can find. I beleive velocity CAI sell for $135. Also, cai is just a filter and a tube no need to buy the fancy stuff.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I have had only one problem with it...at least I think it was the intake. at h20 international last year (it poured real hard for a few hours-flooded the streets of ocean city), I'm pretty sure I sucked in a little bit of water. my vr6 stalled out, and wouldn't start for about 30 mins. After that, I was fine. I took it slow all the way back to the hotel--100+ blocks...hahaha the drawlbacks from getting a hotel room on 149th street...hhahahah, the $60/night was worth it...hhahahaha. anyways, the only spot I could find was outside-not underneath the building...and it was completely fine in the morning. I however, would not be brave enoughtto cut a sweet carbon-fiber 3" tube down for it to sit a little bit higher than usual height. I have heard that if you are really worried about taking on water...to get a bypass-valve-which in a sense is a gap in your cai, which is connected with clamps-and is essentially a sponge-which takes the water out of the cai when sucking up. First off. for it to suck that hard, that fucking amazing. second, I have only had 1 problem with it sucking a little water for having the carbonio for over a year's time. Carbonio=sweet ass 3" real carbon fiber CAI=about $250-look on vortex-I got mine brand spankin new 220 shipped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive got the Carbonio intake and love it as well...Ive driven through some pretty heavy rains with the thing and havent had a problem yet, good luck with yours!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have Carbonio as well and i was surprised how much louder it made my turbo for such a simple mod. I drive through some tough stuff and i am always worried about it, but it hasn't had any problems. I think it is pretty well concealed in the bumper (you will find this out through installation
) and the only real threat is completely submerging ur front bumper. And if that happens you have more problems than your cold air to worry about. Haha Good luck i would go with the Carbonio and coast through the puddles in nuetral, its not that much of an inconvenience.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
A properly installed CAI will not set off any check engine lights. Just make sure that all your connections are nice and tight, and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
Carbonio=sweet ass 3" real carbon fiber CAI=about $250-look on vortex-I got mine brand spankin new 220 shipped.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unless you can get in a g/b or somthing order straight from carbonio, you can p/p their website or call them @ 1-877-4-intake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts