VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOME OF MY FRIENDS DONT HAVE CATS IN THEIR CARS... DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO TAKE MINE OUT.. I HAVE A 2001 VR6

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACT:
SOME OF MY FRIENDS DONT HAVE CATS IN THEIR CARS... DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO TAKE MINE OUT.. I HAVE A 2001 VR6<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The poor cat. No animal deserves that. But seriously I'm pretty sure that's illegal (emissions). Are you yelling or is your caps stuck on?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Does your state have emissions? I'm getting my car registered in FL, who does not have emissions, so I thought about de-catting it...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
Unless your in an emissions exempt state, I would just go with a high flow, and be done with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed but even a high flow is against some emission standards, but who cares if the state is emissions exempted.

plus a catless exhaust would be hella loud.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
Does your state have emissions? I'm getting my car registered in FL, who does not have emissions, so I thought about de-catting it...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, no emmissions in FL. I never really looked into other states emmisions laws (since I've never lived in any other state). So much for the environment I guess.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have read somewhere awhile ago, don't exactly remember where. But it is illigal to remove a working cat from a car..period.
Not sure if its state specific but replacing your stock cat for a high-flow cat is illigal also anyway. (hookeded on phonics didnt werk fer mee)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Im pretty sure in jersey its illegal...but you just gotta know the right people. a lot of garages and places have state inspections. it'll cost you like 50 bucks or so but they will pass you. I know an exhaust guy real close to me who does custom stuff AND state inspection so hes obviously gonna pass something he worked on...good deal

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
In some states its a 2000$ fine for no cat. It sucks driving behind someone without one (95jettayork) you get light headed lol. But a VR6 with good exhaust and no cat, may be the best sound in the world...i take that back, a catless vr with a BOV

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It is a federal emmisions standard to have a Cat on a car. To remove one is actually a fellony.

IMO taking the cat out is a bad idea because (1) performance gains are marginal (if any)
(2) emissions depriciation, especially on a highly modified car, are significant
(3) I don't want my kids to have to wear oxy-masks to walk to school.

Leave it in, or get a high flo if you want less restriction, but tell your friends they are ghetto white trash cheap for just takin the cat out. thats a total honda thing, while leaving the stock 1-3/4" exhaust, and then take the cat out.

but hey, I don't really have a strong opinion about it.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Leave it in, or get a high flo if you want less restriction, but tell your friends they are ghetto white trash cheap for just takin the cat out. thats a total honda thing, while leaving the stock 1-3/4" exhaust, and then take the cat out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't stereotype or anything.

Cars haven't ALWAYS had cats, and it will get you a couple HP maybe, as long as you do the rest of your exhaust too. I wouldn't do it unless you have your WHOLE exhaust done, otherwise all it will do is take away one bottleneck, but all the other ones (Exhaust manifold, resonator, stock muffler) will clog it right back up. But most muscle cars you see around don't have cats.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yea, cars didn't used to have catalytic converters. Then people started realizing the huge clouds of smog and crap like that, and the catalytic converter was invented to turn ozone into harmless water. So if you take your cat off, what you are essentially saying is that ecological science is wrong, and that extra 2 h.p. and 3 ft-lbs of torque is worth all the environmental setbacks you would cause.

While we are at it, I propose lighting the labrea tar pits, and converting our houses back to coal fired stoves.

Sorry, but I get pretty touchy when people start screwing the environment up for no good reason.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My cat makes me sneeze. Then again so do other furry creatures. Guess I'll never own a VW Rabbit or Fox, eh?

Want more HP? Put some decals on! Hehe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts