VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i get rid of the cat in my car will the MIL light stay on or go on. couse if it does will the car run on limping mode.. not really shore. thats why i am asking.. i want to do away with the cat.

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
1) Your light (even though in theory should come on) will not.

2) why you ask? I just put on Hi-Flo Cat last weekend and when I had it off I decided to check just that and (how loud that sucker would be LOL) The light didn't come on. And it was very loud. ALmost cracking my ears.

BTW: Me and my older bro were very confused why the Check engine light didn't come on. I hope my ECU is not fu.ccked. LOL

PS: I might add: if you take off your cat conv. you will not pass emissions, however on 1.8T you should gain about 15 - 25 hp if you chipped her.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

2) why you ask? I just put on Hi-Flo Cat last weekend and when I had it off I decided to check just that and (how loud that sucker would be LOL) The light didn't come on. And it was very loud. ALmost cracking my ears.

BTW: Me and my older bro were very confused why the Check engine light didn't come on. I hope my ECU is not fu.ccked. LOL
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The light is less prone to come on on 2002's, however it still will if you leave it that way and put some miles on it. Also just because you didn't get a light doesn't mean that you don't have an error code on the ECU stored.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:

The light is less prone to come on on 2002's, however it still will if you leave it that way and put some miles on it. Also just because you didn't get a light doesn't mean that you don't have an error code on the ECU stored.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a matter of fact I don't. I have the OBDII scanner (well my bro does).

I had it on without that sensor on the cat. conv. even on. And I revved it up and down for a good 5 times. Weird isn't it.

But I did enjoy it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

PS: I might add: if you take off your cat conv. you will not pass emissions, however on 1.8T you should gain about 15 - 25 hp if you chipped her.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wished you gained that much hp from no cat, but reality is maybe more like 10+ maybe 15+ w/ a full 3" exhaust- maybe more w/ a dumptube like me- but you definately wont pass emissions then, but us florida kids are lucky.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WU-CHILD:
Originally posted by TF242:
[qb]1) Your light (even though in theory should come on) will not.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wished you gained that much hp from no cat, but reality is maybe more like 10+ maybe 15+ w/ a full 3" exhaust- maybe more w/ a dumptube like me- but you definately wont pass emissions then, but us florida kids are lucky.[/QB]
Wu-Child: Go to ABDRACING.com and see how much gain you get at 1.8T chipped with Hi-Flow Cat. Conv. and that downpipe. 25HP.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WU-CHILD:
I wished you gained that much hp from no cat, but reality is maybe more like 10+ maybe 15+ w/ a full 3" exhaust- maybe more w/ a dumptube like me- but you definately wont pass emissions then, but us florida kids are lucky.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah...I want to get a FL plate so I don't have to pass emissions, I don't need a front plate, I can have my tint MUCH darker, and I can get a vanity plate for next to nothing...friggin Massachusetts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wu-Child: Go to ABDRACING.com and see how much gain you get at 1.8T chipped with Hi-Flow Cat. Conv. and that downpipe. 25HP.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

are those hp #s at the crank or at the wheels- I suspect its the crank, but I could be wrong- its happened before, well once anyways

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

are those hp #s at the crank or at the wheels- I suspect its the crank, but I could be wrong- its happened before, well once anyways
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest... I wouldn't be surprised if ABD did post the HP# at the crank. After all it is part of the marketing scheme.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the ATP 3" downpipe w/no cat, it's been my experience that the check engine light will come on every 2 months or so for code P0420 which is the rear oxygen sensor reading a lack of catalytic efficiency but the car still runs fine, won't go into limp mode. I have noticed it's more prone to misfire codes when cold started...cylinders 1 and 2, tried switching spark plugs and coils with cylinders 3 and 4 but still get same misfire codes (1&2) so I think its more of an ECU program thing..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts