VW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perth Australia

Black | 2012 | 5 Door Hatchback | Manual | Petrol
90TSI VI trend line | 1.4 Turbo | 6-speed manual | 90kW | Front-wheel Drive | January Release

Hi all,

Took my car into a service Monday, and afterwards, I noticed the ceiling lining is sagging and has come away from the lights/console.

I went back to the Volkswagen garage and they believe it is just due to the car's age, they've quoted me $1700 AUD for a genuine replacement.

The mechanics shouldn't need to go anywhere near this during service. Do you think this is due to the car's age and perhaps a coincidence and just bad timing or should I chase garage?

I've seen plenty of vehicles older than mine without the issue. Has anyone experienced this or something similar?
Vehicle Personal luxury car Vehicle door Family car Tints and shades
White Hood Light Car Vehicle

Automotive design Hood Grey Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there Goodall. Nothing surprising there, the liner sagging is pretty common. And, I see you're from Australia -?
I think you're in winter down there now....but hot summer weather isn't kind to headliners. I'm in Florida, I have a 2014 GTI and had mine replaced about a year ago, and mine looked worse that your pics do.

But - DON'T have your dealer fix or replace it, that price - 1700AUD - thats around 1200 US. That is absolutely crazy and ridiculous, but that's what dealers do. When I was looking for a place to get mine done, I went to our local VW dealer, they wanted $900 US. No way.

I don't know if y'all down under have mobile independent companies, but we do and that's what I used. Mobile headliners - that's all they do, and they came to my house. They had my headliner out of my car, recovered it with the same Titan black as my interior, put the headliner in and were done in a little over an hour.
Total cost - $200 USD. They did a nice, quality job, If you don't have businesses like that, try to find an independent shop that can handle it, maybe a furniture re-upholsterer....?

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts