VW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The codes I'm currently reading off of a generic OBD2 code reader at a local Advance Auto. First code is a P0420. I knew I would be getting this one because of the mods that have been done to the car. Mods are Drop in K&N air filter in the OEM air box, a Megan Racing 2.5 in DP with no cat, and a SRS 2.5 in cat back exhaust. The MAF is a brand new Bosch. The second and more concerning code is a P1296. The only thing I came up with so far is it being coolant related. I was told that more than likely it is the coolant temp sensor but wanted to double check. I cleared the codes and so far neither of them have returned after about 20 miles of driving.

·
Registered
322 Posts
P0420 is because you don't have a cat.

The p1296 is either the coolant temp sensor or thermostat. The CTS is easier and cheaper to do, so I'd start by swapping that out.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
also the cts (coolant temp sensor) was open for recall through vw.

the revised version is the "green top" id call a local dealer ask for service and give them your vin. ask them if your car is open for any recalls.

if not. transfer to parts and pick up the cts green top sensor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks for the help guys and girls. The only other thing I have noticed is that it takes forever to get warmed up during really cold weather. Is this normal or is my thermostat stuck open? It does warm up to normal temps but only after it has been at idle for 30 min plus. But this is only during cold temps. Mild temps and above it warms up pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
thats pretty normal.

if the t stat was stuck.. youd literally never heat up to running temp on your gauge..

or if it was stuck the other way, youd over heat very very very quickly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Idling won't warm up the car. You need to drive it. That is best for the engine and will warm it up much faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts