VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Jetta 2.5L Its my first VW. I love the car, just bought it a few months back, but one thing I hate, is the noise from the ceramic brake pads. If one piece of dirt, or debris gets in there, you'd think the whole front end was falling apart....the noise on application of the brakes is awful too.

I spoke with a mechanic, who also told me, that ceramics can chew the daylights out of the rotors. Anyone ever have issues with this?

I'm thinking of changing them out to semi metallics, but wanted to ask first...

Also, what is the life expectancy of the timing chain? I've been told to change it at 100K (Have 90K on the car right now), but I'm one of those, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' types....

Thanks for any tips and advice!

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
On the 08 and newer 2.5's you shouldn't have to worry about the timing chain. They are on the transmission side of the engine and are a pretty big job to tackle. A shop will likely charge no less than $1000 to do.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Use the correct oil and you shouldn't have a problem with the timing chain.

As far as brake pads, I recommend Bendix or Monroe. Usually not available at the chain stores, look for a "real" auto parts store, the place that supplies the mechanic shops in your town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its supposed to be synthetic oil, so now my ? would be, which one? Mobil One? Something else?

Thanks for the tips, I love this car, and only want the best for it. It has to be one of the nicest cars I've ever had.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mobil1 0W-40 and Castrol 5W-30 are the two locally available here.

Look on the container to make sure the oil complies with VW 502.00 specifications.

The Mobil1 0W-40 is available at Walmart in 5 quart jugs for less than $25.

The 2.5 motor needs 6.5 quarts for an oil change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my Jetta went for the 90,000 maintainence today, and was found to have a loose lower left ball joint....now I wonder just how tough that is to replace? We do have mechanic training, but have never worked on one of these....

So.....dealership? Or get that handy dandy Haynes manual and give'r a shot.....hmmmm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts