VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So if all goes to plan, I'm finally going to have my full 42 DraftDesign 3 inch street series turboback exhaust by this winter. I know that they are made of aluminum, therefore quite tarnishable. Ceramic coating by 42 or other companies is pretty damn expensive, so I won't be taking that route. I was looking at ceramic coating it myself with this stuff.

VHT FlameProof Coating

Good/bad idea?
Any other product recommendations for ceramic coating or protecting the exhaust?
Or should i just install the exhaust as is and ditch the whole ceramic idea all together?

I'll throw in a pic for the hell of it. I think I used this for a POTM.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
They are made of steel that is aluminized. Just a coating they put on them. My exhaust has seen 4 winters. Mostly just the welds are rusted and the flex section has some rust. The spray paint won't last long because of the aluminized treating. It will just flake off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
dam thats a clean jetta love it wish my ride was black...
quick question whats the main difference between a catback and a turboback??

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Exactly what it sounds like.
Turbo-back replaces everything from the turbo(not the turbo itself)to the exhaust tip.
Cat back replaces everything from the stock catalytic converter to the exhaust tip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
aight gotcha thanks

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dam thats a clean jetta love it wish my ride was black...
quick question whats the main difference between a catback and a turboback??
thanks dude! I like the black magic pearl a lot.

and yeah what fubar said. for any performance gains, you want turboback. or at least a bigger downpipe. catback is really for sound.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Get the coating on the downpipe, leave the rest. (if funds permit)
There is power to be made from keeping the heat inside the exhaust pipes, most bang for your buck is right after the turbo and the turbo housing itself being ceramic coated.
I think the ceramic coatings have like 80 times less heat conductibility than most steels. Means the heat will have a hard time radiating to and past the ceramic.
More pressure inside exhaust, less heat in engine bay = more power in theroy

42 draft designs uses very thick pipes and quality wields. Reliability won't be an issue. They should out last the oem set-up

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
VHT coating needs to be "cured" i suppose the heat from the exhaust would do it, but i feel it would not adhere like Fubar said.
yeah in the link i posted, it gives you directions on how to cure items that are already on the car. so its the material itself that will cause peeling due to lack of a good adhering surface, not the curing process?

Get the coating on the downpipe, leave the rest. (if funds permit)
There is power to be made from keeping the heat inside the exhaust pipes, most bang for your buck is right after the turbo and the turbo housing itself being ceramic coated.
I think the ceramic coatings have like 80 times less heat conductibility than most steels. Means the heat will have a hard time radiating to and past the ceramic.
More pressure inside exhaust, less heat in engine bay = more power in theroy

42 draft designs uses very thick pipes and quality wields. Reliability won't be an issue. They should out last the oem set-up
thatsa a good idea. if anything, maybe i can get the DP cured.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
The Vht paint will work but you would have to have the exhaust worked down to raw steel for the paint to adhere. Curing it you just run the car, let it cool the repeat. It tells you on the can. Or you can use a heat gun. Or bake it.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i would have to sand down the whole exhaust? doesnt sound like its worth the trouble.

FYI - it is time to swap trunks and get rid of the wing as well :)
lol swap trunks to what? a euro trunk?

suprisingly i dont mind the wing. its not the kind you see on most jettas. those are pretty ugly. this one isnt near as bad for some reason.

video of me doing a seafoam treatment: you can get a good visual of it

I do feel as though it would look bettetr without the wing. I just dont wanna go through the removal and filling. or a swap. I dont have money for it right now anyways. Reminds me, i need to debadge jetta and just leave GLI.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I had that wing on mine, I found a kid that wanted to trade for it for a basic trunk i preferred. I know have a shaved trunk lid awaiting spring to put on and selling the one on my car to a guy in town when i pull it.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would be easier to find someone to trade with if I had uniblack instead of bmp. But im ok with that color :D

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
I used vinyl wrap to fill the holes on my srt4 trunk you dont even notice it. I cut small circles and placed it. I fortunately just went to the junk yard and found a mint neon trunk for 15 bucks and painted boom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone. So if all goes to plan, I'm finally going to have my full 42 DraftDesign 3 inch street series turboback exhaust by this winter. I know that they are made of aluminum, therefore quite tarnishable. Ceramic coating by 42 or other companies is pretty damn expensive, so I won't be taking that route. I was looking at ceramic coating it myself with this stuff.

VHT FlameProof Coating

Good/bad idea?
Any other product recommendations for ceramic coating or protecting the exhaust?
Or should i just install the exhaust as is and ditch the whole ceramic idea all together?

I'll throw in a pic for the hell of it. I think I used this for a POTM.

Alright, you freaked me out there for a minute with the "aluminum" turbo exhaust. Luckily someone ID'd it as "aluminized".

Coating the exhaust is a good idea in that aluminzed tubing will have limited corrosion resistance, particularly when its heat cycled in a turbo application. Keep in mind you would need a staff of CSI investigators to find ANY trace of actual thermal ceramic in a $10 can of over the counter paint. All that's in the can is traditional silicone based high temp paint, i.e. BBQ paint....... If done properly it will offer some limited corrosion resistance but little to no thermal protections.

If you want the BBQ paint to stick you need to:

1) Thoroughly degrease the pipes

2) BLAST them with CLEAN media. Some type of oxide is best. Wire brushing, sandpaper, scotchbrite is USELESS for etching the pipes properly

3) Paint and cure according to directions......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts