VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the bulb for the heating/ac control knob. Does anyone know how to take off the panel to do this?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Actually just drop by a dealer they should do it on the spot for ya. They changed mine for free while I waited during my oil change a while back. Suggest you do the same, good luck.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
There's a small bulb directly behind the middle of the fan switch (the center dial). To remove the dial turn it all the way counterclockwise, then pull HARD on the dial. It will come out, giving you access to the small bulb in the center. Using pliers is not recommended to fish out the bulb.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is no longer under warranty. I asked them if they would still fix it for free and they said no. They said it would cost around 35 bucks to change. I told them I would change it myself. Now I need to know how to remove the panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I force the knob counter clock-wise past the '0' setting for the fan? I tried pulling hard and had no success.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nxm150:
Do I force the knob counter clock-wise past the '0' setting for the fan? I tried pulling hard and had no success.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes... Counterclockwise past 0 settings, try pushing in as you turn it as well. Not pulling on it until you feel it is unlatched.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
When i got my Bora, The bulb was out and i was alreay pissed at the dealer that i bought the car from that i wasn't going back to them. What i did was take a small dish cloth and put it over the knob and used the pliers to pull it off. then used a small rubber hose to get the bulb out. i forget what size it was but just went to Rice Boy's and matched it up. Then used the hose to put the new bulb in. Now i'm not sure if the knob is the same on a Passat but i assume it would be.
jon

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i didnt even have to change my bulb but i wanted to see if the tip worked...and it did... thanks TF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts