VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, got a '98 Jetta GL Automatic. Motor mounts were bad so changed them my self. Had to use the jack method and had to lift the engine several times from three locations to get at all the mounts. I had to disconnect the electrical connector at the shifter assembly next to the engine and shift cable. After putting it back together the shutter is gone and engine runs great but noticed the gear indicater showed the gear it was in when I first turned the key to on then changed to show Drive. When I shifted into Reverse there was a loud thud and the car jumped. When I applied the gas it sounded like something was grinding underneath. I turned the engine off and ran through the gears when it stuck in 2nd. It will not move. I disconnected the shift cable and the shift linkage is also stuck. A large amount of oil dumped out from front of the engine. Any thoughts what I messed up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. Thanks for the help. Not even a suggestion.

Well, for those who might be having the same problem and not looking forward to the outstanding assistance from the members of this site, here's what I found:

First: the locking mechanism on the shifter had broken locking it in 2nd. If you slip your fingers down behind the shifter through the slat you can feel and see a black, square plate. This is on a pivot and will flip up and down. Pull it all the way up against the shifter. This will unlock it.

Second: When the car was raised the axles were not suported. The axle hung down and the gears seperated a bit. When the car was lowered the gears went back together out of alignment. I had to lift the car back up, disconnect the support arm and pull the axle out as far as would go. Then work it around as I pushed it back in. When lifting the car make sure to place the jacks under the support arms just behind the wheels. Oh, and if the metal tab on the ball joint slips out from the support arm, the easiest way to get it back in is to take the tire off. There are two bolts holding the brake cylander in place. Loosen the top bolt and remove the bottom. Then you can swing the whole piece out to line the tab back up.

And third: When the engine was lowered it must have pinched the shifter cable or moved the shifter out of place. Still not sure exactly what the problem was. Give theexhaust a gentle shove a couple of times. This fixed the shifter indicater showind Drive all the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts