VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Folks -

Just a quickie.... I noticed last night the my driver's side low-beam headlight is out. The brights work fine.

Am I correct in assuming I can just pick up a replacement bulb from any auto parts store (RS Strauss, Auto Zone, etc...) and drop in the new bulb, or is the repair more complicated than this?

Any info, as always, would be awesome!!

Thanks!!!

- Matty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks db - you rock!

As for my battery though... it's actually located behind the engine, up against the firewall, at the center. Kind of right at the base of the windshield.

On newer models, you're probably correct. My buddy has a 2003 Jetta 1.8T and his battery is located exactly where you mentioned.

Thanks again for the info.

- Matty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya motsas -

I drive a '98 Passat GLS, 1.8, 5-sp., stock Rondo rims, pretty basic actually.

The headlight repair seems pretty straightforward - I plan to go to Auto Zone tomorrow morning and get the new bulb. I've replaced similar bulbs in an old Honda CRX I used to have, so I think this should be a breeze.

But now I have another headlight question... can anyone recommend an aftermarket manufacturer of - perhaps - different style lights foe my Passat?? I just saw one on the street the other day and he had those super-bright xenon bulbs installed.

I'm thinking about installing new lights altogether and I'd like to see some different styles that are available.

THANKS!!!

- Matty

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
That's all you need to do, replace the driver side can be a biotch as the battery sits close the headlamp housing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The passats battery is up with the cabin filter and ECU, unlike the jetta/golf/GTI's

It's a piece of cake, just pull off the rubber boot, unplug the harness, release the clip, pull out the bulb. The passenger side is the PITA because you have to remove part of the intake(not the intake itself the part before the air box, I guess you can call ith the ram air hose!?!?!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're exactly right B5T... I installed the new bulbs this past Saturday.

The whole repair took about 5 minutes, once I figured out the correct position of the bulb in it's little 'seat' in the headlight housing.

The rubber boots came off easily and you're right again B5T... I did have to remove part of the air intake.. which worked out fine 'cause I was able to clean out some debris that I saw lying in there.

Thanks again fellas.. the repair was cheap, quick and very simple.

- Matty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts