VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the prosess of changing my dash lights from green to blue so far ive been useing the 5mm leds and i have some of the 3mm blue leds on order i was wondering if anyone here has done this and how much yall paid for the 3mm leds and did you use any restors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 98 gti and want to change my dash lights. how many are there to change and about where are they so i know how many and what sizes i need before i start. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have a jetta but its prolly the same if you go to nullnullebay site to buy cheap and good leds this is what i used in my car and they are bright
you can buy the leds they are blue if you want red you have to find them somewhere else i would use the 3mm t1 leds alot of people will tell you to use 5mm 2600mcd and yes those are good leds and they are bright but you have to do alot of moidifing to get them to fit if you get the 3mm leds they fit right in place of the old ones and the ebay site i ust gave is the cheapest you will find anywhere i was paying about 3.00 each for the 3mm leds at a local ele. shop you will prolly need i think its 30 leds and on the Instrument cluster you can buy a kit its much easyer than making it your self and it will cost about the same web site that will give you a full step by step how to on changing it
and that web site will tell you how to do it like i said dont listen to people when thay say to use the brightest leds you can find cuz it dosent make a difference i some of my leds are the 5mm 2600mcds and they arent any brighters than the ebay ones i got they just cost about 4.50 thats about the onley difference ebay site to buy cheap and good leds oh yeah the how to web site sells a dash kit for your guages you can e-mail me if you ahve any questons at [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cheated and took the easy way out.....just changed the original green light filter with a red one. I used this flexible translucent red plastic that I bought at Michael's for $6.00 in the stained glass section and used the orignial as a template to cut the new one out with an exacto knife.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I switched mine over to red and let me give you a little advise. There is no way you are going to pull it off unless you get the right LEDs. Trust me some of them have absolutely no extra room. You are going to have to get 3mm 12V LEDs. Yes they do exist and you should be able to find them cheap. If you want some red ones I can sell you some of the extras that I have.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
deviantk2 said:
I cheated and took the easy way out.....just changed the original green light filter with a red one. I used this flexible translucent red plastic that I bought at Michael's for $6.00 in the stained glass section and used the orignial as a template to cut the new one out with an exacto knife.
u can barely tell a difference, i basically did the same thing works great :K:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also change the filters for everything and thats easier than the leds, also you have more choices w/ the filters. I will change the filters to any color you want for $10. NY/NJ service.

·
Registered
162 Posts
deviantk2 said:
yea man me tooooo awesome

·
Registered
162 Posts
dvs_b21 said:
I switched mine over to red and let me give you a little advise. There is no way you are going to pull it off unless you get the right LEDs. Trust me some of them have absolutely no extra room. You are going to have to get 3mm 12V LEDs. Yes they do exist and you should be able to find them cheap. If you want some red ones I can sell you some of the extras that I have.
You are right the michaels way doesnt work too well.... how much are you selling the LED lights for?

·
Registered
162 Posts
wolfsburg'99a3 said:
well i have a jetta but its prolly the same if you go to nullnullebay site to buy cheap and good leds this is what i used in my car and they are bright
you can buy the leds they are blue if you want red you have to find them somewhere else i would use the 3mm t1 leds alot of people will tell you to use 5mm 2600mcd and yes those are good leds and they are bright but you have to do alot of moidifing to get them to fit if you get the 3mm leds they fit right in place of the old ones and the ebay site i ust gave is the cheapest you will find anywhere i was paying about 3.00 each for the 3mm leds at a local ele. shop you will prolly need i think its 30 leds and on the Instrument cluster you can buy a kit its much easyer than making it your self and it will cost about the same web site that will give you a full step by step how to on changing it
and that web site will tell you how to do it like i said dont listen to people when thay say to use the brightest leds you can find cuz it dosent make a difference i some of my leds are the 5mm 2600mcds and they arent any brighters than the ebay ones i got they just cost about 4.50 thats about the onley difference ebay site to buy cheap and good leds oh yeah the how to web site sells a dash kit for your guages you can e-mail me if you ahve any questons at [email protected]
where were you getting those LEDs from? lik a website? do they make little blue LEDs cuz i think that would be cooler.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
When you do LED swaps make sure to use the LEDs with the same voltage. VW uses 1.8~2.4 unfortunatly the Blue LEDs come in 3.0+ only so you will need the resistors. A local radio shack carries them for way cheap. Talk to the guy and he can help you also find what resistor you will need to run the blue. Only down fall is the Blue LEDs there only come in 5mm. But if you were to decide o do Audi red .They have 3mm LEDs thet are a perfect mach and also have the corect voltage and come in 3mm. The look exactly like this :wink:

RED LED

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sweet man that helps a whole lot, my last questions, and i promise to try and make this my last hahaha, is how many of these little LEDs will i need?

·
Registered
162 Posts
wolfsburg'99a3 said:

yea just kidding... one more thing...... the website you said that gives step by step instructions didnt work when i clicked on it. Is there another way to get to it or is the site gone cuz i need some help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ok so i took what you guys said... went to radio shack got the 3mm LEDs, installed two to test it out and hooked everthing back up, turned on the lights. the little red lights i installed lit up for a few sec and then faded away. i am assuming they burnt out. can someone tell me what is up? the pic below is of the LEDs i used. thanks

1 - 20 of 51 Posts