VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can change the key out of the remote keyless entry clicker? I have a 2000 Passat, and I just bought a remote from Ebay that has is keyed for a Bug. I thought it had a blank in it : (

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The problem is that the keys are laser cut, and to my knowledge at least, the dealer has to get them from Germany. Maybe that is for the whole unit, they might have key balnks at the dealer. Plus, the key contains a chip which is part of the immobilizer system. This is seperate from the remote transmitter. Anytime a new key / immobilizer is added, the procedure is to set the key count in the ECU to 0 with a VAG-COM and then set the desired total key count. Each key is then inserted in the igniton in sequence to match its immobilizer chip to the ECU. I don't know it they will get you just the key portion, you might still have to get the whole FOB. If there is someway you can get the key portion out of your valet unit, you might be able to transfer it inot the FOB. This is how the can can be gottenf rom the new FOB: Press the release button, catch the blade 1/2 way out, you will notice a small black roll/cotton pin, get a punch and hammer that pin out, then pull the blade and in reverse order put it into the new FOB. You know that the new FOB has to be programmed to work your car right? I ahve never tried it, but this sequense is suppose to work for reprogramming the transmitter:

1. Stick existing key in the ignition and turn it on (but don't start the engine).
2. Put new key in the driver doorlock, with the door closed.
3. Turn door key counterclockwise and hold until horn beeps.
4. Keep holding. Press any button on the remote in the door until the horn beeps.
5. Take keys out.

New remote is now programmed (it will be a couple of minutes before it works, though).

Good Luck,

Josh

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Wow, where did you get that info Josh? I never knew that...

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
Wow, where did you get that info Josh? I never knew that...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be surprised Brett, I'm not all cookies, and kitten pictures.

It's really just stuff I have picked up from different situations, other people, and the good old Bentley manual.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 4 of 4 Posts