VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G-day all

Just had the Tiguan in for its 50K check up and have been told the back brakes are near done. I have been use to back brakes lasting much longer than front brakes so was somewhat surprised. :confused:

That said how difficult is it to change these brakes? Is it as simple taking off the caliber and pushing the piston back in like I have done on front disk brakes or is there something special that must be checked when dealing with the electric emergency brake

Thanks in advance for any assistance-guidance you can provide

Roger

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rear Electric E brake Job VW Tiguan

Just performed rear brake service on mine. When you bring it to the dealer they put the car on the vag com and it sends a negative 12v to the E brake thereby Pulling the internal screw part of the cylinder. Then they Push the cylinder back in like in applications without electric brakes.

So since I didn't have a vag com I disconnected the plug connection, got 2 wires, and mechanically switched the connection points using the 2 wires. I then had a 2nd guy pull the ebrake button inside the car. This successfully pulls the inner part of the cylinder. I disconnected the Wires manually after a few seconds. You will notice when the inner cylinder bottoms out, because, in my case, the outer cylinder you are staring at began to turn. I did the each side individually. Expect a Brake light on the dash for a little while when you drive. Utilize the E brake a few times after the job as well to check.

Do this procedure at YOUR own risk- This is just how I decided to do it and these were my experiences.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts