VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TNP96vw:
look into some various computer chips.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chip won't help out here. Speed is directly related to rpms. Chip will get you there faster but the rpms will be the same.

You should be able to swap in a 6 speed from a VR6 or 20th/337 or R32. Carson or Aaron should be able to help out with more detail.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Why in the Fu(k would you want to go above 143mph?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not too sure he actually could with the 2.0 in there. At those speeds aerodynamics and horsepower will be in a tough battle and I don't think horsepower is gonna win.

·
Registered
291 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by 98a4:
B]Why in the Fu(k would you want to go above 143mph?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its just knowing that if you wanted to you COULD go above 140...but no theres deff no need to ever go that fast unless you are in a high speed chase from the cops...and if thats the case just stop because no one ever gets away lol

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
You can gear the car as high as you want, however, you need a sizeable amount of horsepower and torque to overcome the aerodynamic resistance.

Entering the Silver State Classic or something?

If you want a 6 speed, Quaife offers a 6 speed conversion for your car, and I believe they also offer new gears to change your ratios.

Or, you can simply acquire an O2M 6 speed from a 337 or 20th AE GTI, and it will bolt directly up to your 2.0. If you do this, you also have to change the shifter mechanism and cables.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Currently I own a 2k jetta, 2.0L, 5 speed. My calculations tell me that at about 22MPH per 1000RPM I can get to about 143 MPH in 5th gear before my cars dead man switch kicks in at 6500 RPM. Is there a way to change my gear ratio, so that I can go above this speed? Or is there a better way to do it? Thnx

-Mitchell R. Drews

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
listen dude, everyone here pretty much agrees that ESPECIALLY in the states, you dont need to go 143 MPH. also, i dont think the speed-o even goes past 140. you wrote you wanna rally, and i highly doubt rally driving will ever get you past 120MPH. your best and prob. cheapest bet would be get a lightened flywheel, and new clutch and dont mess with the gearing. If you absolutely have to i would say either change to the 6 speed as mentioned, or just change your final gear. changing final gear changes everything else. like i said before, no need for all that speed, you cant get to it and prob. wont need it in rally.

[ March 16, 2004: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Didn't ABD used to make an expander for Fifth gear? I have often wanted to get a different, much taller 5th for all the highway driving I do, to bring the RPM's down and get the MPG's up. What is the possibility of just putting a taller gear in, is it going to be a royal PITA or just mildly aggrivating?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
i would say that anytime you take your tranny apart your looking at a PITA. however, since youd be exchanging the final gear or 5th gear, i dont see it being ungodly hard to do. IF i wanna rev higher or lower, final gear is all i would do. also for a full custom tranny... better save close to 5- 10,000. custom tranny is NOT cheap. one or two may be more within the common mans budget.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 5th gear ratio for 1.8t and 2.0 is a .83 I had a TDI 5th gear installed in my 2.0 trans. witch is a .75 ratio. This should drop the rpm's in 5th by about 1k rpm's. The car is not running yet so I can not give a full opinion of the swap yet. www.eurospecsport.com has a 6th gear add on for the 02j trans.

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nIGaTuk1.8T:
I think its just knowing that if you wanted to you COULD go above 140...but no theres deff no need to ever go that fast unless you are in a high speed chase from the cops...and if thats the case just stop because no one ever gets away lol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My brother got away from cops a couple of times with his supra, going 170 down a freeway =) when the cop was just sitting there..hahaha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts