VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did the timing belt, i never changed the thermostat. My car has been having problems getting to operating temp so i figured its obviously stuck open.

There are 2 ways to get to the thermostat. remove throttle body and alternator, or the mess of tubes infront of the intake manifold.

Ive been looking online and people argue over which is easier/faster. What are your opinions on the route i should take?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I changed mine (with the help of a master mechanic) and we went the alternator route. I don’t think we ever had to take the throttle body off, but it was one hell of a tight squeeze. You will need the little joint for the ratchet that allows it to pivot in all directions, and a couple extensions for it. Just use a piece of wire to keep tension on the belt when you take the alternator off. You don’t have to take it completely out, it just pivots out of the way.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I remove the throttle body and alternator for a 1.8 thermostat.

Start to finish takes me less than an hour.

You may have to press the alternator bushing out just a little to get it back together easily.

A small C-clamp and a socket work perfect.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, went the alternator root. I was having a lot of trouble getting the alternator to line up correctly so i filed down a bit of the inside pieces of the alternator bracket to get it to fit in correctly and it I got it to work.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
you should be able to just unbolt the alternator and move it to the passenger side and you should be able to squeeze in there

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just removed the plate that holds the dipstick tune and used a ball end Allen wrench. Worked OK. BUT JUST OK. Lol. It sucked.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i tried that first but just didnt have enough room. the alternator was the best way to go. I just had to sand off some of the alternator bracket to fit correctly but still snuggly.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats what i tried at first but had trouble lining it all together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts