VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I left the interior light on overnight the other day, and naturally the battery in my 2001 1.4L Polo has run flat. Money is a bit tight at the moment, so I'm wondering if it's worth my while buying a charger to recharge that sucker rather than fork out for an new battery. I've never dealt with such a problem before so I have no idea what I'm doing really, and I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1. Is recharging a battery a permanent or temporary solution? That is, assuming the battery is still fundamentally good, will charging it back up restore it to its previous state, or will I find it needing to be recharged regularly?

2. Do I need to remove the battery from the engine compartment before charging? From what I've gathered in my research so far, I understand that there is a danger of screwing up the electronics if done incorrectly.

3. If removing the battery first is necessary, how do I do this and what tools will be required? Looking at the battery, it differs quite a bit to what I am accustomed to. There is a box covering the positive terminal, inside of which are some wires and a small fuse box. I'm not even sure how i would connect to the + terminal. Here is a picture of one similar to mine, though it's from a diesel engine I believe.

Finally, which charger would be most suitable for my battery? Here are the ones I'm currently considering to buy. Any other recommendations are most welcome, though please bear in mind my low budget.

Maypole 7416 6A Battery Charger 12 V up to 1800cc
6v 12v 8Amp Heavy Duty Car Van Boat Bike Marine Battery Charger

Many thanks in advance for your time.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Just get a jump start from somebody else's car and the alternator will charge it back up to it's previous state.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just get a jump start from somebody else's car and the alternator will charge it back up to it's previous state.
Not an option at the moment unfortunately. I have considered rolling it into a bump start, but if I don't manage to get it started then I have a bigger problem to deal with. In any case, will the alternator fully recharge the battery? I've read that it doesn't always work that way, though I'll take your word on it if you insist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts