VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 2.0 jetta and basically it has no power and i have no money. any one know of any cheap upgrades i could do that would help increase the power to it?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You have a European car, there are no cheap upgrades
You can get a CAI for $150, but it will give you 2-3HP, won't even notice it. If you want really noticable power with the 2.0 you have to go with forced induction, which the 2.0 doesn't even react well too. If you want more power and have no money, your best bet is to sell your car and get a 1.8T or a VR6 for however much you sell your car for.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ask Raf..he has alot of experience with stock 2.0 jettas...
actually man, im with Brett...sell her and pick up a 1.8t or a VR6 and commence the power making..those cars both will give you way more options on parts and are easily upgradeable. Good Luck
--dave--

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Not only are is a phrase containing "2.0", and "power" and oximoron, but throwing the word "cheap" in!?!?

No such thing; a cat-back, cai, chip, etc... will run you over $1000, for about 20hp! If thats cheap for you, then share the wealth brother!

For anything significant your going to be looking at a few grand easy.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I hate to say it,

but for cheap power, there is always the bottle.
I've heard that the 8v's are even pretty resilient to the stuff. Other than that, I think you are pretty much stuck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...i kinda figured thats the replies id get...im trying to save up to do an enging swap to a vr6 but that will be a while.....but thanks or the suggestions

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the same boat. When I smashed up my 92 GTi, all I could afford at the time was an 03, 2.0L Golf. I think I've made the most of it though IMHO (see home page).

I still crave a bit more power though. So aside from the obligatory open intake and exhaust (maybe a tri-Y header?), there are a few reasonable options left.

First job is to get more of what power the engine does make to the wheels. To that end I'm getting aluminum pulleys and (assuming I can find one) a lightened fly wheel. A carbon fiber hood (painted blue. I'm not going "fast and the furious" here), the removal of the unnecessary back seats, and the spare tire when I'm just driving in town should also lighten the load.

Next a 260-something cam and adjustable cam sprocket. Finally, an APR chip with stock and 91 oct. programs.

I'm honestly not sure what I'll get out of that, but I'll take what I can get. If anyone here finds this path of upgrades questionable though, feel free to take me to school.

·
Registered
777 Posts
say to hell with it and go 100% looks buy some mild performance springs/shocks, and get a good kit and big wheels, all of wich you could pay for in the price of a tc/sc/motorswap, get some paint, a giant system and wait for the women and sponsors to rush in!

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:
I hate to say it,

but for cheap power, there is always the bottle.
I've heard that the 8v's are even pretty resilient to the stuff. Other than that, I think you are pretty much stuck...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup - that would be my suggestion. If used properly it is a relatively inexpensive modification with good gains.

Just for how long is the question...

·
Registered
223 Posts
well how much whp would the neuspeed supercharger or the other supercharger that the member stated would put out on a 2.0. please let me know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i doubt it that it has 220 donno what tweaked means. im gonna email neuspeed but i doubt that they will give me the accurate # because they want their product to look good so they will give me a higher hp# get the picture.

·
Registered
223 Posts
ok guys i went to ther website and this is what i found: "Stock HP is approximately 90-92HP at the front wheels. With the supercharger kit alone, HP jumps to approximately 135HP at 6200 rpm at the front wheels" now my question is can this keep up with the vr6. cuz it certantly cant keep up to the chipped 1.8t where the hp is 190 at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would NOT buy the neuspeed supercharger kit. There are options out there for much cheaper than that thing and will make you go much faster. Check out www.vwturbo.com, that's ATP's website. With their Stage II kit, you would be about as fast as a chipped/turboback 1.8T. With their manifold, there are a TON of turbos you could bolt up that would make you pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
ok guys i went to ther website and this is what i found: "Stock HP is approximately 90-92HP at the front wheels. With the supercharger kit alone, HP jumps to approximately 135HP at 6200 rpm at the front wheels" now my question is can this keep up with the vr6. cuz it certantly cant keep up to the chipped 1.8t where the hp is 190 at the wheels.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it wouldn't be quite as fast a stock VR6 which I guesstimate has about 155hp at the front wheels (about 12% loss). It would come down to the drivers though. But in the end I'm not sure if it's worth the cash when for not too much more (after paying for a SC system) you could just have a 1.8T or VR6. If you went with the 1.8T you would have plenty of less expensive mods (compared to putting FI on a 2.0) available to you and could have the power you want.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
i doubt it that it has 220 donno what tweaked means. im gonna email neuspeed but i doubt that they will give me the accurate # because they want their product to look good so they will give me a higher hp# get the picture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tweaked meaning with every performance part you can get running at its absolute best

·
Registered
777 Posts
id say 220 tweaked....

·
Registered
32 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GalacticVR6:
id say 220 tweaked....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What sort of tweaks? I only know what I've read in books about forced induction. Wouldn't he have to drop the compression ratio to 9:1 to avoid over heating even with a intercooler? That cannot be cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts