VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know any cheap modifications for a jetta GLX VR6 that would significantly increase my HP???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I'm not familiar with VR6's, but if you had an extra $500 bucks you could do the following:

Iridium or other high performance spark plugs (2-3HP)

Swiss Cheese the Airbox and put in a K&N filter $40 (5-6HP)

Try to find a budget exhaust ($200-ish 7-9HP)

Buy a K&N cone filter and get rid of the airbox...Or try to find a Eurosport cold air intake. That'll add 7-8HP.

Maybe a new chip, but those are kinda expensive.

Try those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So would these additions make much difference to a 97 2.0 4-cyl?? I'm not trying to build a racer, but I would like a little more "umph" out of my car.

I've already got the K&N air filter, and I've noticed much better gas mileage, and a little better engine performance....I'm am pretty curious about the 10.4mm Spark plug wire and the spark plugs.

Advice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car is a 98 2.0L 4-cyl, and after I popped in the K&N filter, I got a lot better performance out of my car...Then I swiss-cheesed my box and got about another 3 or 4 HP out of it just by increasing the airflow a bit. That's about the cheapest thing you can do to milk a few HP out of your engine.

With the spark plugs, if you buy some nice Bosch platinum2 or platinum +4's, I heard it'll add a few more HP. I definitely know if you get some nice Neuspeed spark plug wires you can get better response out of the engine. Something to do with the copper-alloy connectors.

There's another good question, what kind of spark plugs does everyone recommend?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
hey i have a 96 jetta and recently put an autotech Q-chip and a abd intake system in it. i've noticed a decent increase in power. and im ordering a neuspeed cat back system pretty soon. chips r not that expensive. a lil over 100 $ . but yea drop a k/n panel filter and bore out the air box. thas what i did to my 92 golf, u get a lil bit of more power and u only spend around 50 $ for the filter

·
Registered
202 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VWRico:
There's another good question, what kind of spark plugs does everyone recommend?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bosch, I've had great results with them in the Renaults

1 - 9 of 9 Posts