VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my wife told me that Check Coolant Sign, and then a big Stop sign appeared but she had to keep on driving.
What may be the problem? The car had a service last Friday.(air conditioning compressor was changed)
I am worried about this issue as I also had a nigthmarish experience with the VW service here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had something similar happen for a couple weeks in a row-

Everytime that I would start the car in the morning I would get the same flashing temp light. Checked the coolant level and my driveway several times and could not see any tell-tale signs of leaking. The weird thing is that it would only happen on initial start-up. If I started the car and it flashed I shut of the car waited about 30 seconds, restarted it and it would never come oin again thoughout the day, never while driving. The only time it would happen was in the morning of the FIRST start. I figured the sensor was just acting up and got used to it doing this every morning for a couple weeks until it stopped altogether and hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WU-CHILD:
I had something similar happen for a couple weeks in a row-

Everytime that I would start the car in the morning I would get the same flashing temp light. Checked the coolant level and my driveway several times and could not see any tell-tale signs of leaking. The weird thing is that it would only happen on initial start-up. If I started the car and it flashed I shut of the car waited about 30 seconds, restarted it and it would never come oin again thoughout the day, never while driving. The only time it would happen was in the morning of the FIRST start. I figured the sensor was just acting up and got used to it doing this every morning for a couple weeks until it stopped altogether and hasn't happened since.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you just explained was the same thing I had with my MKIV. I had to replace the engine coolant temp sensor. It cost me $6 at the dealer, and only took 5 minutes. You just have to make sure the car is totally cool when you pop the sensor out or you will end up looking like Freddy when the hot coolant melts your face off.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I don't know what kind of car you drive, but if you lose some fluid on MKIII's it will give you a flashing engine coolant light on the dash. This happened to my MKIII a few weeks ago and I pulled up a intermittant coolant leak MIL with the vag com. You probably have a real small leak somewhere. Top the coolant off and see if it does it again. I would be willing to bet that it was this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts