VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I had my check engine light on and my airbag light was lit on my 1997 VW Golf "Jazz."

My ex-boyfriends friend came by with a code reader, and said this is what I have on:

* 16795 (P0411) Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected

* 00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95) 32-00 - Resistance too High

He "turned off" the check engine one but the airbag one just came back on. Also, he said the check engine one may come back on when it "rescans?" later.

My question from you helpful group of people.
What are my best odds to have fixed to fix the two warnings above? Is this something I can get a mediocre capable friend to do or would I have to use the dealer?

Thank you for your help,
Missy

·
Registered
169 Posts
The secondary air code is probably something simple, like a loose or disconnected hose. The air bag is another issue altogether, either go to the dealer or to a good VW shop.

Ainokea

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you buy this car from someone used? Of so does it have an a pillar gauge or any emissions deletes?

Air bag code could be the clockspring as well .

I got the car when I started college, just over 4 years ago. No accidents and besides some quirks and hiccups its been a great car; over 165k miles on it and I still get great mileage.

So, my dad came down and pulled off a bunch of stuff behind the steering wheel. He said all the connections looked good but that there could be a connection under the driver's seat (I didn't think I had seat bags). He was running short on daylight here in Cali and left saying he'd try to make it back next weekend.

Any suggestions for my dad would be appreciated.

Missy

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
yes.. there are air bags inside the seats.. in the bolsters.. along with curtain air bags.

does this car have a factory radio installed?
if it is an aftermarket radio (like i have installed) the air bag light will come on due to a wire called the k-wire.

alot of times when you install an aftermarket radio theres no where for the k-wire.. and most times plugs just eliminate it or leave it not plugged in.. triggering the air bag light.. basically the airbags use the radio has a power source.. its weird..
but definately.. if an aftermarket radio / head unit.. this could be the source :)
(its why my airbag light is on)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes.. there are air bags inside the seats.. in the bolsters.. along with curtain air bags.

does this car have a factory radio installed?
if it is an aftermarket radio (like i have installed) the air bag light will come on due to a wire called the k-wire.

alot of times when you install an aftermarket radio theres no where for the k-wire.. and most times plugs just eliminate it or leave it not plugged in.. triggering the air bag light.. basically the airbags use the radio has a power source.. its weird..
but definately.. if an aftermarket radio / head unit.. this could be the source :)
(its why my airbag light is on)

It has the factory radio. A few years ago some jerk broke in and tried to steal the radio and made a mess of my dash; I had it repaired but it seems like I've had minor electrical issues since then (and the in trunk cd changer never has worked again since). However, the airbag light only recently came on (a few days ago).

I would've never thought this 1997 Golf Jazz had seat or side airbags... thought it was too old. So, the only thing that is new is my driver's seat edge broke recently - the side closest to the door. My ex was sitting in it facing out and it broke. I don't mind it as I'm not wide enough to touch the sides of the seat anyhow. But, even that happened several months ago and again the light just started.

Oh, that CEL came back on yesterday morning on my drive to school. It came on when the pump sound happens at a stop light. It's like a whine that lasts for maybe 4-5 seconds then stops. Frustrating :(

Thanks,
Missy

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
mk3 .... and u do not have side curtian air bags because it is the older generation then the one that gets disscused in this subforum the mk4 ... but as far as the whining goes im willing to bet ur sai needs to be replaced and the air bag ignitor module usually means that the air bag itself or the clock spring is broken.

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
^^^This.

SAI pump is failing (i was thinking someone did an emissions delete and so you just had a code for the missing pump, but you verfied it was intact)

And that airbag is like said above, either the clockspring is failing/broken or the seat harness or bag is failing i presume.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mk3 .... and u do not have side curtian air bags because it is the older generation then the one that gets disscused in this subforum the mk4 ... but as far as the whining goes im willing to bet ur sai needs to be replaced and the air bag ignitor module usually means that the air bag itself or the clock spring is broken.
Oh, bugger, I looked at Wikipedia and saw the 1997 started the MK4 but now I see the MK3 continued to 1999 in the US. You're correct I have a MK3 and I apologize for posting in the wrong forum, please let me know if i should move or repost there (sorry :( ).

I did some research before I posted and read something saying if the horn worked than the "clock spring" is okay. Would I still have that connector under the driver's seat that could be causing the issue? I hate to have my daddy pull out the seat if there wasn't a connector there. Though, I could probably use a new driver's seat anyhow.

^^^This.

SAI pump is failing (i was thinking someone did an emissions delete and so you just had a code for the missing pump, but you verfied it was intact)

And that airbag is like said above, either the clockspring is failing/broken or the seat harness or bag is failing i presume.
I saw a "fix" for the SAI pump where the rivets are drilled out and a bolt is used instead. I think dad can do that so I'll give it a try before I spend $400 on a new pump.

thank you all again for the help you guys rock!
Missy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts