VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a bazooka in my jetta the security system prevented me from starting the car for a couple of hours. When it finally did start, the check engine light came on. I went to get it inspected and the diagnostic report said that 20 sensors were malfunctioning. This is obviously an error. I don't want to take it to the dealer and have them reset the light for $90...is there a way to reset the light myself?

thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Where are you located? If you know someone with a Vag Com you can use that. I have a Vag Com but I dont know if your local.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Sorry, I am not local. Vag Com is a OBDII diagnostics device that you load on a laptop. It has very similar capabilities as the 1551 computer the dealer would use. Go to Autozone. They can diagnose and erase most CEL's for you at no cost, the software they use is not as descriptive as the Vag Com though. If you know you have the problem fixed, just to go Autozone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Go to Autozone. They can diagnose and erase most CEL's for you at no cost[/QB]

I was unaware of that. I learned something usefull today.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My CEL came on...and I don't think it's anything major...but I have an Autozone right down the street. One ?...will they be able to check it with my after market tuner/cd deck in there?

2000 Jetta 2.slo

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
DUBSol said:
My CEL came on...and I don't think it's anything major...but I have an Autozone right down the street. One ?...will they be able to check it with my after market tuner/cd deck in there?

2000 Jetta 2.slo
Yep that wont be a problem at all

Autozone can scan and give you the codes, they can't always tell you whats wrong and they cannot, or willnot clear the codes...I Think there is some legal issuse there..

·
Registered
179 Posts
did you try resting it by unpluging the battary for around 20 min? becuase that worked on mine when it happend to me

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I tried to go to Pep Boys because my friend's getting a CEL on his Passat, and they wanted $89 to scan it for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I checked into a local dealer here who has a handheld scanner (iScan)? They didn't list the cost, but I'm guessing it's up there...are these things worth owning? (if you intend to become a real DIY'er?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts