VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a CEL be activated from using two different types of gas?

For a couple of weeks now i've been using 91 octane Chev. w Tech. But the other day I got some 89 octane gas from Vallero, because I really needed gas and ever since then my CEL has been on.

Can that be the root cause or is there something else to it?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Stupid as it sounds, my parents take my car and fill it with 89octane trying to be nice, but im APR chipped. So when anything below 91/92 goes in I get a CEL. Soon as I fill it with 93 it goes off. I'm sure something bad is happening in the engine, but I dont know what it would be. I'm sure Carson or Arron could tell you more.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I can't imagine it knocking hard enough, even with the worst gas, to trip the CEL.

The compression ratio of the ABA is 9.6:1, so it should probably get good gas, at least medium grade, whenever possible. But running on cheap stuff shouldn't throw the light. The ex's OBD2 Cabrio ran on cheap stuff all the time without any trouble.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i definately feel a difference in my car if i don't use a premium octane fuel with my car being chipped. my cel goes off and on from time to time, i don't get to worried about it b/c i recently replaced mafs, o2 sensors, plus im using a aftermarket air intake system and the chip which can also trigger a CEL to go on. just pay attention to how the car runs and if it starts to act up see if u can get a local vw mechanic to plug a computer into it to see what codes its throwing out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts