VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2001 Jetta 1.8T last Summer within 1500 miles the check engine light came on. I took it in for a check up. What it was, was the oxygen senor.

Just yesterday my new 2001 GTI's check engine light came on too. I'm taking it in next week to get checked. My quess is that it is the same thing. I will post next week the results. My buff is it this just a coincidence that 2 2001 models can have the same problem within 1500 miles?

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: db ]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 GTI 1.8T. I have on it 28,600 miles, and I've taken it in for a Check Engine Light 5 times already. Each time, it is some sensor, and this last time it happened, they couldn't figure out what the problem was, but mysteriously, the light went away after they clean up the engine and did generic checks. I'm about to call VW to complain. The last 3 times it's happened to me is when I didn't warm up the car before driving (ie: I didn't wait until RPM hit 800 before driving). So I'm hoping that is the cause.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 99.5 GTI VR6, for those who don't know 99.5 GTI's have the new body style. I had trouble with my check engine light at around 55K miles. I took it to the dealership and ended up having to replace the Mass Airflow Sensor. I tried to put it off because I didn't notice any difference in performance, but eventually I started losing a lot of power. It cost me a cool $550 to replace it. Other than that it has been great. It's my dream car and I wanted to own one since I sold my 1982 Rabbit in 1994. That car started my love affair with VW's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i just got a recall notice from vw on my o2 sensor. they said that it causes the check engine to trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ex-VW tech here... when I used to wrench on cars at the local VW dealer, O2 sensors were about as common as 5K's. I don't know exactly what was causing it, but supposedly, there was a bad batch being put in for a while... should've stopped after the first one though...hmmm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is this a problem that is common to the 1.8 Ts, or is this a VW problem in general??

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it turns out that the reason my check engine light went on was I had to have my combivalve and solonoid valve replaced. Go figure, well just glad I did not have to pay 1 cent! Thank you Platinium Warranty

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 99 gti light came on as well. the first time it went off when I tightened the gas cap, but it came on again.I just ignore it, I was told the light could be turned off without messing with the 02 sensor, which is what the 1551 said the problem was.No performance problems as a result.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The check engine light gets turned off using a scan tool that reads and communicates with your onboard computer. I would not ignore the light because it most likely has to do with your emissions system. I would get it checked out to see what tripped the light.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hello,
can someone help me..
my engine check light also went off...and well i had it check by a friend who worked at an auto part store, he said that my golf was rannning rich. i have an K&N intake filter on but i had that on for about a year now. well i checked my mass air meter and it looks dirty, if thats the case why my golf is ranning rich can i just clean it...and how do i go about doing that...i don't want to have to go buy one.....
can i also be my O2 Sensor....

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Ask your buddy if he has access to OBD II scanner to see the exact code. Most of us had their O2 sensors replaced during recall.
Any part that you can take out that is dirty can be cleaned, some parts need extra care while cleaning some don't. So heads up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ohh yeah...my friend scanned it with a OBD II scanner....and said that my car was running rich...... i don't remember what the code was but all it said was that it was running rich... i was wondering if my mass air meter or O2 was bad would it say so...with a code...on the OBD scanner...

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
If the code was something along the lines PO172 air mixture too lean or too rich in bank 1 or 2 it is 90% O2 sensor.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Well your car falls under the O2 sensor recall catergory so I would just get it replaced, since it will cost you nothing.

I don't know if the recall still is active, but it should.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts