VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving my 97 5 speed Cabrio today and a yellow orange CHECK light came on. I dont have my manuals with me at school and am concerned with this can anyone tell me what it might mean. I already know that my clutch is goin out. Is this the first sign of the impending failure?

·
Registered
127 Posts
When your light first came on, it probably flashed at least once. These flashes can sometimes tell someone with automotive experience what is wrong. Different flashes mean different things. The best thing I can recommend is to get to a mechanic that can put your car on a diagnostics computer. It will be able to read the codes from your car and tell what is wrong. It may just be a sensor. My jetta has been through like 3 sensors. They will make the light come on just as it would with something serious. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
If the car is running ok, Dont worry it isnt serious, Mk3's CEL's go on for no reason, its just a pain in the ass normally. If the car is actinig up, have the codes run at the dealer

·
Registered
17 Posts
i wouldnt worry about that.as long as it is runnin fine its ok.i have a 99 jetta wolfsburg and my light comes on now and then.they say its cuz i need anew throttle body but i havent gotten one yet and it still runs fine.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I've got a 99 Golf with an intake. The CEL has become my friend. But if you notice any problems, have it checked at Auto Zone for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I drove the car yesterday and it seems fine. I had a BMW that did the same thing (turned on the check light) turned out it was the 02 sensor so im thinking thats what is going on with the Cabrio. I have also used BP gas the last couple of filups and I think that might be a reason as well (considering that BP isnt the best)so I'm going to go and fill up with some Shell later this week. Thanks for all of the replies I'll let you all know if anything else develops.

·
Registered
466 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZaZaZ:
Light went out as of 12/9/03<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet it's back on as of 12/10/03

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
mines on all the time, i say if ur cars running fine then just dont worry about it, if ya want to take it somewhere to get scanned and find out for sure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My CEL comes on one week and goes off the next. I don't know whats up with it but at least it goes off sometimes.

Seriously speaking though, if you disconnect your battery for a while, your ECU resets itself. The CEL might not go off right away, but that's because it has a 'Test and Retest' program built in. What happens is that you have to make four full trips with your car so that it realizes that everythings operating fine. By four full trips, I mean that you have to start it, drive it around until it gets to normal op. temp. then turn it off. Do this four times and if everything is running fine, sensors and all, it'll turn off. I have a few disconnected sensors and it still turned off.

Then again this could just be an OBD2 thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have had my gti for 1 1/2 now and put 18k on it and the light has been on ever since i have had no problems i think its jus the o2 sensor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jettagrl99:
i wouldnt worry about that.as long as it is runnin fine its ok.i have a 99 jetta wolfsburg and my light comes on now and then.they say its cuz i need anew throttle body but i havent gotten one yet and it still runs fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try using some throttle body cleaner on it. Spray it really good and wipe it out completely. Do it a couple times to make sure you get everything. That will save you the CEL and the cost of a new throttle body most likely.

Note: This takes care of the idle adaptation limit reached/exceeded code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts