VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a less intrusive way to check the timing chain on 2007 2.5l Jetta? I am pretty sure that I have a timing chain but I am not sure if there is a way to determine the chain's condition. I bought the car used and the last scheduled maintenance was at about 80k miles. I am at 123k and I want to determine the damage. Anyone has any light to shed on this? Thanks

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Is it making noise or do you have a cam. code? The upper can be replaced with the engine in the car but the lower can not. The trans has to come off. The 05-07 2.5's have. Timing chain guide/tensioner issue. Were they fail and lose pressure causing the chain to get slack and eat into the block. Then it's time for a new engine. Google vw 2.5 timing chain issue. Hope you are sitting down when reading everything. If it was my choice I would just sell the car. If you don't have the tools or skills to perform the work yourself, the bill is going to be through the roof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I start and let it run in park, I hear a slight humming sound but nothing loud, very low. But after the car has set up for a while a chirping sound comes and then it goes after the car warms up some. I have no cam. code that I know of. What is a cam code?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Noisy timing chain

Have you positive the noise is timing chain related? could it be a water pump? or an idler bearing?
I would expect the timing chain to go pass 200,000 miles without any issue.
Find a stetoscope and try to point where noise is actually coming from.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the belt or chain breaks and you have an interference engine then you will have valve or piston damage.

The interval I have heard for replacement is 60,000 miles.

If the belt or chain costs $100 installed and you have an interference engine and the engine damage costs $1000 then you should replace the belt or chain when the probability of the belt failing gets to be 10%.
Because 10% of $1000 is $100.

If the belt or chain costs $1000 installed and you have an interference engine and the engine damage costs $4000 then you should replace the belt or chain when the probability of the belt failing gets to be 25%.

Only the car makers know the graph of
miles vs. probability
for these belts or chains and that's partially how they came up with the recommended replacement interval.

I'm not a fan of Clint Eastwood, but "Do you feel lucky?" :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information but I am thinking of using a timing light gun to get some idea. But I don't hear any sounds like the ones described by others when the chain's worn badly. Any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
VWVortex.com - 2.5 Intake Timing Chain Issues
Really search on this subject. I have an 08 2.5 and when I heard about the issues I immediately researched it. You might be safe if your car is a late 07 build. Check you door jam for the build date. If it is 06....good luck.
For the agencies mentioned in the link I'd research Captive Regulatory Agency for which idea Stigler won a Nobel Prize.
One of them has a scandal about every seven years.

Apparently the best strategy for you in the worst case is to get bids on a reman engine install. The best strategy for "your opponents" is to lead you on, tire you out and have you spend money, effort and time unwisely.
Since this is sort of a Zero-Sum Game you should get books like this from your local library
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Strategically-Competitive-Business-Politics/dp/0393310353[/ame]

And, decide how many metal shavings on the oil drain plug is

normal
vs.
indicates an imminent problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts