VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done to the air box on a 87 8v to get more air flow? I don't mean cutting the box up but bigger tubing or anything like that? I have heard of the big bore intake, could probably create something like that myself, any pros cons for intake piping on this engine?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
K&N panel filter, it about as good as it gets. ABD bigbore is just for looks... doesn't add any power.

It's pretty much pissing in the wind. The intake isn't the flow resriction, the cylinder head and camshaft are. Adding an "intake" doesn't do anything on a MK1. Moving to an Audi/MK2 throttle body, and an intake ported to match the big throttle body helps a little.

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is a lower air box you can get to use a cone filter and the biggest restriction on a rabbit is the airflow meter not the head or cam

·
Registered
364 Posts
No, the most restriction on a rabbit gti is the stock exaust manifold along with the intake manifold and throttle body

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blackbunny:
there is a lower air box you can get to use a cone filter and the biggest restriction on a rabbit is the airflow meter not the head or cam<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... I came up with that lower airbox. It's a Volvo part. I ran one a long time ago and sold it because it didn't help anything. My friend twisted the idea by selling them on ebay, he made a bunch of money... and lots of people jumped on the boat with him.

The airflow plate is a restriction... but for our purpose, that isn't something we can change.

The single outlet exhaust manifold is a restiction, a horrible one.

The cam in the 1.8L is a horrible pile of crap. A 1.7L cam is actually worth a couple hp.

The throttle body isn't as bad as most people tend to think. A bigger throttle body does very little actually. The intake tube makes no differance as well.

Once the cam and exhaust are fixed the head becomes the bottleneck. The ports have a lot of room to be opened up, and the short radius to the valve sucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts