VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sipping some beer after work today, applying armor-all to the plastics in my engine bay when I thought to myself "someone's got to have an easier way of doing this!" How does everyone clean their engine bays? I've seen all those degreasers you can spray all over the place, but my intuition tells me they're not good in the long run. One time a friend bought a used Prelude, and the dealer had washed the engine somehow and it looked like they'd also sprayed it with silicone or some kind of very shiny stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Please, please, please pritty please DONT use armorall on anything!! That shine crap is the absult worst crackling liqued junk. On rubber or black or plastic (engen bay) use 303 aerospace protectant. A bit pricy yes but the very very best! I use it on my dash engen bay trim tires etc apply with terry cloth buff out *important* with a micro fiber. I hope that helps no quick fix but the best things seldome are

you can get it here http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
why do you guys want to polish anything under there unless your about to enter a competition or sumthin
i dont see a point in it but if you do i would just use a bucket of warm water and some car wash soap.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
agreed big dub. windex works good for engine cover.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear about a product that's better than greasy old armor all. I figured my post would bring out some skepticism/emotions, but you it was worth the risk! I just want to keep a clean car, and keep my engine bay from getting too gunked up (I can't garage my car, and it's been dusty around here the last 8 months).

However, does anyone know about the risks of washing the engine compartment? Is a spray of water going to mess stuff up? Of course, I'm not going to start pouring water all over my intake or anything, but I'd like to hear from someone who shows their car--how do you prep it? I'm not going to show my car, but I want to clean the engine maybe anually.

Can't blame a guy for wanting to take good care of his car, eh?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
all that Amorall does is dry out the crap and makes you buy more so it wont crack and get all fucked up. i will never use it ever!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I bust out the pressure washer on a low setting or just use the hose and hose it off down there. Then I'll use Black Magic or something to get the water spots off. But I'm wanting to get mine color matched also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pressure washers are good to blow off the gunk from months of driving in the winter weather. Ensure that the engine is completely cold before spraying anything on the block or electrical connections under the hood. Use a biodegradeable solvent (simple green) on the inner fenders and fire wall to loosen some of the stubborn gunk that forms there. Dry off with clean towels and use the polish or protectrant of your choice to spiff up the engine cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts